Prednisolone withdrawal symptom - frequent urination?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there!

I've tapered off a 35mg dose of prednisolone over the course of 4 weeks. Has anyone experienced frequent urination as a withdrawal symptom? I've only stopped taking them completely for 2 days which coincides roughtly with my increased need to urinate. 

Any views would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elide91905

I would refer this to your doctor who may ask for a urine sample to exclude/diagnose a urine infection.

Were you taking antibiotics at tthe same time as the prednisolone?

Definitely contact a dr to have your urine tested just in case there is an infection present.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Jean, 

Thanks for the advice. I will do that. I wasn't taking any antibiotics at the time no. Is that usual? 

Thanks, Elide

• Posted

Hi Elide

I know that antibiotics aremusually prescribed for a short course of prednisolone but I am unsure if that is the case for longer courses/ Prednisolone can leave the way open to infection. It is only a guess so that is why it is adviseable to exclude a urine infection as being the cause of your increased urination particularly if younhavr cyctitis or any pain passing urine or feel out of sorts. also depends on why the prednisolone was prescribed in the first place.

Jean

• Posted

Hi, 

That's interesting. I've been on them twice and antibiotics were not offered on either occasion. I think you may be right about the infection. I did notice a few days ago that my urine had a mild green look about it but is it was so mild I wasn't sure as I had no pain or other signs. Thanks so much for you help!

Best, Elide

• Posted

hello elide91905

You are welcome. Perhaps the out of hours will see you today?

• Posted

Are you sure it's not a high blood sugar level? Steroids can cause this and a symptom of it is frequent urination
  • Posted

I have also increased my steroids over the last few weeks and have been frequently urinating
  • Posted

Hiya! I have been weeing off prednisolone from 60 mgs now on 2mgs. The last 3 weeks i have not stopped urinating all the through the evening as well. I am also wondering if this is prednisolone related.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.