Prednisone

Posted , 11 users are following.

Doc is starting me on prednisone. Anyone have any feedback? Likes/dislikes?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Long term prednisone use is described as 2+ weeks  - not my description but that of the medical fraternity.   Unfortunately Drs have no idea of the effects when tapering too fast.   As an example my Dr had me on 25mgs and told me to taper by 5mg per week until off them.   I can tell you from experience if you are a long term user (2+weeks) you do not taper at that level unless you like pain.   The usual level to taper is no more than 10%; however, everyone is different, for me 10% was fine until I got to 11mgs, continuing to taper at that rate below 11mgs put me in a world of pain.   When tapering taper no more than 10% then give your system a chance to catch up with cortisol, that can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to six months, again everyone is different.   No doubt some will find argument there, this is my experience only.
  • Posted

I forgot to mention side effects.   Some get none; however, there is a very long list of possible side effects.   After three months mine included moonface, urticaria and excessive brusing and bleeding.   I gained a few other side effects after that three month period but as I was also started on sulphasalazine, hydroxychloroqine and MTX I'm not sure which toxin caused which side effects..   Despite all those toxins in my system I still have no releif, I sincerely hope you have better luck than me!
  • Posted

Hello. I am 55, male diagnosed with RA 17 yrs ago at age 38. Prednisone has been a part of my meds from the start. though prednisone worked very well helping me stay mobile, I WISH I HAD NEVER USED IT AT ALL. 3yrs ago in 2013, I was diagnosed with STEROIDAL INDUCED DIABETES. And diabetes for me is almost uncontrollable. TRY TO STAY AWAY FROM PREDNISONE

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.