Prednisone allergic reaction is

Posted , 5 users are following.

I started prednisone for tennis elbow. I’ve been having severe hoarseness from scratchy sounding to times no voice at all. I’ve had chest pains and upper abdominal pressure as if air is trapped. This pains hit and it feels like my air has been cut of from my voice box. It’s left my vocal cords severely swollen. Has anyone ever had these reaction. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cathleen , I had the voice loss aswell as other things , shaking hands ,papatations & severe tiredness I also lost 2 st even though most ppl put weight on .I don't know how long you have been taking them but ween yourself off them I was not given this advice and for 4 weeks felt really ill , I,ve been off them now for 6 weeks & will never take them again to me this tablet should be banned I know we are all different but going on what you,ve said I,d go back to doc & see if there is anything else you can take. Take care

• Posted

Thank you Georgina.  It’s been 4 weeks. I had been on prednisone for my arm for about 4 days but then was exposed to moth balls at work. When I began shutting down i figured that was it. Went to several doctors who were all told this. Not one picked up on the prednisone one even gave steroid shot and  told me to finish my prescription another gave me another prescription. I’ve finished meds But have just put it all together . I’m going to see my pharmacist today
    • Posted

Hi Cathleen

Seems like this drug has done some crazy things to several people. I have not experienced the total lost voice but have had my voice to get hoarse. I do feel that all the effects we are experiencing are due to prednisone withdrawal. Ugh! I wish the doctor on the emergency room would have told me about all the symptoms before as I am sure o would have never taken these drugs. I am now approaching week 5 of not being on prednisone and am still facing side affects. Once I get over something , here come a new surprise. I dont know how long it will take for the drug fo finally wear off, but I do hope so soon. I'll say a prayer for you as well as others, because with God, we can overcome this.

• Posted

Without Pred I would be in absolute agony. I have been taking it for four years for an autoimmune disease. There is nothing else to help, so it really is a wonder drug as far as I am concerned. I do agree it does have its side effects. 
    • Posted

hi heather , yes i,m finally feeling better. sleeping better ,shakes have gone just trying to put some weight back on now & it is now on my medical records i am not to be given prednisilone again . how are things with you ?

• Posted

Hi Georgina

The initial side effects of prednisone have gone accept for anxiety and aches here and there. I am happy to hear that you are finally feeling better. This drug has been a total nightmare for me and I am waiting to be symptom free of this drug. Did you take anything to counter your affects?

• Posted

Hi ptolemy

I apologize about talking so negatively about the drug. I am glad that it does work for you and that you benefit from it. I on the other hand was not introduced to the prednisone in s good way and the side affects really scared me. I didn't know what was going on! Doctor never gave me instructions on tapering down although I was given only 5 days of 50 mg dose, maybe if they had my experience would have been different. Idk.

• Posted

hi heather , i was not offered anything so just had to stick it out . i really hope your back to normal soon
    • Posted

I think the problem is a lot of doctors do not understand steroids. I had an ex rheumatologist who tried to reduce my dose very quickly and I was in agony and felt like death warmed up. I asked about side effects and he said there were too many to name. A real cop out. 
    • Posted

Hi ptolemy

I agree! From this experience, I will make sure that I always look up side affects of drugs prescribed to me. No longer am I gonna assume that all docs know best. I called the doctor who prescribed me preds. And the nurse said oh no. That's not the prednisone and you dont have to taper with just being on for 5 days. It took me to look up this forum discussion and call 2 pharmacist for me to find out that yes, you do indeed have to taper from 50mg, even if only 5 days. Still I wish the best for you, God bless !

• Posted

Looking at all these posts I'm scared to death to take prednisone! Uugh my anxiety gets the best of me & I'm just wanting of course to feel better but scared to take the dang meds!! Blahhhh Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.