Prednisone and anxiety.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Alright so I started prednisone this morning (2 ten mg tablets) and I suffered a HUGE panic attack a few hours ago, shaking, trembling, racing heart, blurred vision, so I took 0.5 ativan and the feeling started gradually going away, and now a few hours I later I'm starting to feel the effects again, this time I have a headache and lower back and upper butt cheek pains. I am NEVER taking another pills of this horrible poison. I feel like I am losing my mind. Everything turns into anxiety or panic mood. Does anyone know how long one dose of this med lasts?! I need to know when it will be out of my system with no more side effects. It was one dose, two pills, 10 mgs each earlier this morning. (Around 10:30) please please please.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

How long it took to go away?
    • Posted

If you still have anxiety after 55 days then you probably had an underlying anxiety order to begin with. I can say this because I have an anxiety disorder myself. When I took prednisone it just intensified it. I had the same problem that you do. It had been long enough for the steroid to be out of my system, yet I still had anxiety. You may have had thoughts such as, “what if” this doesn’t go away. These thoughts are keeping your cortisol levels elevated, which makes you feel anxious, which increases your cortisol levels. It’s a cycle. My advice is to find something that will relieve your anxiety or re-focus it. I started riding a bike. You can do anything positive. Stay away from sweets, alcohol, and nicotine, as these are stimulates which will increase your anxiety. 
    • Posted

Well, technically speaking, alcohol is not a stimulant, but you will have rebound anxiety the next day, which will be worse. 
    • Posted

Thanks for reply. How do i deal with insomnia though, doctor prescribed me klonopin but i cant take it forever. I have this forehead pressure/tingling sensation that gets me anxious at night and i lose sleep.
    • Posted

Youre welcome. You’re right, you can’t take klonopin forever. You build a tolerance pretty quick with benzos and you end up having to take more and more to get the same effect, which sets you up for withdrawal at some point when you stop. Maybe ask your doctor for some trazodone or atarax to help you sleep. The more you focus on the tingling, the worse your anxiety will get. I’m not sure what your lifestyle is like, but it really takes an active effort, daily, to reduce anxiety. Try to make some lifestyle changes to reduce your anxiety. Work on some positive coping skills. Also, work on changing the way that you think. It takes time, but eventually you will begin to think positive thoughts, which will change the way that you feel. You can also ask your doctor about an SSRI, which are also used for anxiety and panic. Try to stay busy and not focus on the physical sensations of the anxiety. Remember, it’s just anxiety. Get comfortable with having it around. Tell yourself, “I’m feeling anxious, my forehead is tingling, but it’s ok. It’s just anxiety. It will pass.” Then move on with your day. The more you feed it, the bigger it gets. I hope this helps out. 
    • Posted

Thanks. It is just that I regret taking that Asmanex inhaler which caused me dizziness (for a week) panic attack, anxiety etc. When i came back to doctor he said Asmanex cant do that. But the reason im mad he prescribed me high dose 200mcg 4 puff a day. And after 3 days i had to stop it. I just worry that it could cause brain damage or some permanent chemical imbalace. But i see people taking way bigger doses and that rarely occurs. Im just confused why would inhaler do that? I never had anxiety in my life before this. And Im only 30 yo. Most symptoms gone though, but im still worried.
    • Posted

Honestly, it sounds like pure anxiety. I don’t doubt that that the steroids increased your anxiety levels, but the things that you are saying sound like pure anxiety. I know this because I had those same thoughts. You do not have brain damage or a permanent chemical imbalance. It’s anxiety and it sucks. The good news is that you can overcome it. 
    • Posted

How do i overcome it? Do you think 58 days not enough to overcome it? Will these symptoms subside such as anxiousness, head pressure/tingling?
    • Posted

Find something to do and quit counting the days. You are paying it too much attention to it. I suggest exercising. Exercise until you are sweating. Turn some music on. You are obsessing over it. I did the same thing. Focus that energy on something else. And, quit googling your symptoms. If you go looking for something on the internet, you are going to find it. I mean, type any medicine into google along with the words anxiety. Let’s say, Motrin. You will find some person on some forum stating that Motrin caused their panic attacks. It’s nonsense. Change the way you think and your feelings will follow. I hope you feel better soon. Get busy! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.