Prednisone and Bells Palsy.

Edited , 5 users are following.

Im hoping someone can give me some advice. Ive had BP for 2 months. I was never given any prednisone or steroids . A doctor i know from where i work told me i could try prednisone now. Is it worth a try. I havent seen much improvement in the 2 months other than im not super sick like i was for the first 2 weeks.

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Edited

Hi

Have you been tested for Lymes Disease.? Lymes can cause Bells Palsey and if treated quickly with antibiotics you can make a full recovery. I had same, I didn't have a visible tick bite. I also took prednisone and BP disappeared after 4 weeks or so.

Hope you find a solution.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Edited

hi joe!

they say you should take the steroids and an anti viral medicine within the first 10 days of your diagnosis its only to reduce the swelling of the 7th cranial nerve that caused the bells they say its a virus does the medicines actually heal the bells? not really but every case is different unfortunately i am one of those rare severe cases i was diagnosed on 4/28/18 and still not fully recovered ive done acupuncture within the first 3 months but stopped because it was too painful and didnt seem to really help me i look normal until i smile or talk i think synkinesis set in but it is what it is and im still hopeful ill recover fully someday just dont let this stop you from living your life stay positive and have faith i wish you a speedy recovery

Report / Delete Reply
  • Edited

I also had Bells Palsy after 5 years of PMR. I was prescribed an antibiotic and 5 days of prednisone. 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 and then back to my current dose of 2mg. The BP cleared up within a few days.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Joe

I have had 2 episodes of Bell's Palsy and on both occasions my GP prescribed me with an antiviral drug called Atorvastatin and a long course of steroids. starting at 10 for 5 days reducing to 8 for the same amount of days then 6, 4, 2 and 1 till I finished the complete course.

My moth droops on left side of face and the first time I couldn't close my right eye. GP told me to cover it with a makeup remover pad with my eye manually closed and tape to hold it in place. This helped me to sleep.

The second time same side with drooping of my mouth but it was my left eye which wouldn't close. Same medication

I was lying down earlier and had pain like a migraine but worse. . I rang my daughter from my bedroom because i couldn't get up because i needed Ibuprofen and help to get up into a sitting position I was slurring on the phone but when she came from her bedroom to mine she said my mouth has drooped again. going to have to get hold of GP in morning to get medication if it's still the same. The pain on left side of my head has eased off now but can still feel a slight dull pain.

I was told after I saw one of the Gps in our surgery and by Maxillofacial in the hospital that if you have a second episode you will continue to have episodes. You need a good GP who you can trust to provide you with Prednisilone. Hope this helps and you get better soon. it's a sod to have cos I'm having to drink through a straw. my right eye is starting to feel like i can't close it. I don't know if a doctor will even come out or if they will just prescribe my medication as the surgerys are closed except for phone calls.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up