Prednisone and Blood Sugar

Posted , 10 users are following.

I thought I'd share some of my experiences with blood sugar because when I first started taking prednisone at 20mg my diet was terrible, and I never got any guidance from my Rheumatologist.  Net result?  I've lost considerable feeling in my feet.  lesson learned:  doctors here are NOT looking out for me.  I have to do that, and so I am.

I went to my GP, and he put me on Metformin to lower my sugar a bit.  Then I set out to learn how to be a good little diabetic, and so I did, reducing my sugar levels from catastrophic to merely dangerous in the long term.  Not being satisfied with that I continued to research diabetes, and I am still learning because eating with a blood sugar problem is part science, and part art.  However, after I got my sugar under some control, I decided to investigate what if anything I could do about prednisone's affect on my blood sugar.  I should point out that I was pre diabetic before taking prednisone, but then with the horrible diet I had, I wasn't shocked when I discovered that I now had medically induced diabetes.

So, after learning to eat better...and I do, I also learned that I can exercise and take up good amounts of excess blood sugar in the muscles, and organs.  It works, but its more complicated than that.  First, at high levels prednisone interferes with the ability of muscles to take in sugar.  I also discovered that when you take prednisone, and I take it at 7:30 AM that it starts to enter your system, and seems to form a bell curve starting to rise very rapidly by noon, and then starting to come down after 6 PM.   If I have any meal at all between noon and six I can be certain of a serious spike in my blood sugar, one that may or may not respond to exercise.

So I had an epiphany:  I wasn't eating 3 meals a day anymore, I was eating 4:  break, lunch, Pred, and dinner.  And prednisone is a loooong meal lasting about 6 hours.  I could eat something as inconspicuous as a banana at 3:30 in the afternoon and it would raise my blood sugar nearly 40 points, whereas if I ate the same banana at 8 PM I'd get a more modest 12-15 point rise.

That led me to a strategy where I've shifted breakfast to an early hour right when I take the pred.  I then get out and walk 30 mins, then 2 hours later I have a light lunch, almost a brunch, because I eat it at 10:30 AM, then follow that with 30 mins of exercise.  That takes me to the no mans land of prednisone which owns me for 6 hours.  What can I eat?  Not much.  I tried sugar free popsicles to satisfy not only my hunger but my sweet tooth.  I struck a disappointment there, because while they are sugar free, they do have sugar alcohols, and testing showed that If I had more than one I was on the sugar eexpress, although roughly half the problem of a banana.  I have discovered that I can have a raw carrot, or celerly, or even some raw broccoli.  If  I cook it however, it becomes, "bioavailable" ...translation, it turns into sugar fairly fast.  So I nibble my way through the prednosone no mans land until about 6 ish, when I can go ahead and start dinner.  Dinner allows me more options because the sugar effect of prednisone is really fading fast by then, and not only do I spke less, but it responds to exercise much better.  Bottom line,  I can keep my a1c below 6, and possibly under 5.5 and all without the aforementioned Metformin which I've been off of for awhile.  Getting my a1c below 5 (and I'm taking mg/dl here) is probably not possible on pred, or at least not until the dose is quite low.  When I had to wean off of pred I kept expecting my sugar to come right, but even on lower doses the effect was pronounced.  I hope this rant is useful.  The bottom line now is that I can keep spikes to a bare minimum, and I no longer test as diabetic, even though I have to work quite hard to stay out of that range.  One final note.  As a medically induced type 2 diabetic, some of what I'm suggesting would be of no value to a type 1 since they're dealing with an intrinsic inibility to manufacture enough insulin, as opposed to insulin resistance.  That at least is my best understanding to date.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Excellent post, thank you. I have been on a single daily low carb (<20 gm) high fat meal program with good success in weight loss and well being. This is a form of intermittent fasting. I have just been diagnosed with a chronic inflammatory disorder (Polymyalgia Rheumatica) which requires that I take Prednisone 20 mg daily for the next 1-3 years. Since you have lot of experience measuring blood sugars in proximity to your steroid dose and meals, I have the following questions for you:

1) Have you found that low carbohydrate meals still provoke a blood sugar spike during the 12-6 PM phase of highest Prednisone induced hyperglycemic vulnerability? Or is that only true with carbohydrate containing meals.

2) What time of day would you recommend for a single daily meal that provokes the lowest blood sugar spike in relationship to a 7 AM Prednisone dose.

I really appreciate any insights you can share. There is not a lot written on this subject. 

Arnie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.