Prednisone and facial hair

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi! I was diagnosed with Lupus in March 2017, and I have been on prednisone since then. Recently I have noticed a lot of facial hair and acne. My dose is being tapered down to 20mg in a few days.

As I have read earlier threads, I am aware that its a known side effect most people deal with. I wanted to know that how long does it take for the hair to fall out? And, does it go away naturally when the dose is tapered down to say 10 or 5 mg?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes it does go away naturally for most people as you taper the dose - but for some it has to be a very low dose. Everyone is different.

I had a beautiful black beard when I was on Medrol/methylprednisolone - which seemed a trifle strange as I have been naturally "platinum blond" for over 20 years!  I've also been on prednisolone and prednisone and had no problem at all with them! When I was on the Medrol my Braun epilator was my best friend. Bit ouchy the first couple of times but it worked really well for days at a time and no stubble. They now make ones specially for facial hair.

• Posted

Aa that is such a relief to hear. Thanks for replying EileenH.
  • Posted

Hello

i have been on Prednisone for about 2 years now up and down.  This past year due to Chronic Urticaria I have been on a VERY slow taper taking a year going down to 1mg.  Yes I did go through the facial hair issue and was concerning.  I even started plucking out the hair and one time even used the ladies shaver in a couple areas.  It was fine hair but a lot.  HANG IN THERE AS IT WAS ONLY TEMPORARY!!!  it slowes down to normal....Prednisone is a blessing but can have a few side effects.

• Posted

Truly true, Prednisone is a blessing. Good to hear that the hair growth is temporary. 

Thank you for replying Wendy smile 

• Edited

hello,

i am also suffering from excessive facial hair growth due to prednisone.... please what happened with your facial hair? did it disappear on its own?? what should I do to it? i am growing a beard, and i have hair all over my face and neck ..... 

• Posted

Hey, Yes... It went away really. Right when my steroids were put on around 5mg or so. Even when I never thought that they'll go away, THEY DID VANISH. So, its just about time.. You'll be better.

• Posted

how does it go away. does hair grown in face fall by itself or how does it go away ??

please tell me.

I have been given predonisolone along with immunosuppressive for uveitis I have started from 60 MG to 5 MG for 6 months gradually tapering the dose every week 5 MG and 10 MG for 2 months and 5 MG for 2 months.

please suggest me.

I have acne all over my back and chest and face and neck.

my body used to be very clear with no hair but cause of this hair is growing all over the body . I am very much worried about that.

• Posted

Hello all,

I am very stressed .. pls help me out. My ENT gave me a Corticosteroid injection 2 months back. And now I see a lot of increase in my facial hair. I had no prominent facial hair anytime before. I wanted to know does it goes away? Or is it permanent ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.