Prednisone and flu shots

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I've been on 80mg of Prednisone every other day for 2 1/2 months now and I have at least one more script to go and I was just wondering if I should get a flu shot or not? I read that a long term user shouldn't but I don't know if I'm considered long term or not.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

i would say to get the flue jab Ive been on steriods for over 2 years and always have flue jab its a precausion which could help keep you well

• Posted

Thank you, that makes me feel better.

• Posted

Hi, I have been on Prednisone for several years and always get the flu shot as per my doctor's recommendation. I would not take a vaccine with live ingredients..

• Posted

Hi Dorothy

How many years have you been on Prednisone and how many mg do you take each day. I have been on Prednisone for over two years now for Chronic Urticaria. hoping to get off in the future. It has been a blessing but know its not good to be on it long term. WHEN I try to go off...the urticaria comes back. i will ask about the flu shot.

• Posted

I just saw my doctor the other day and he told me to go ahead and get a flu shot. But thank you for offering to ask your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.