Prednisone and kidney pain

Posted , 12 users are following.

I went to my primary today with what I thought was a UTI test showed no infection but did show blood traces in urine.Have some soreness in lower back right side. dr said possibly the pred causing it I am currently in reduction could this cause this ?

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

As a long-time kidney stone maker - If I were you  I would ask that you get an ultrasound/ xray to start with to see if they see any stones. (sometimes it takes a Cat scan if they are uric acid stones) I've been up and down on Pred for 3 years and any kidney or back pain, trace blood and feelings of UTI have always been either UTI or stones moving.  Never a pred side effect.  Good luck!
  • Posted

You can buy clinitest stix from the chemist and do your own urine sample test. If you have Giant Cell Arteritis, this could cause the problem.
    • Posted

As a retired USA Medical Tecnnologist, why would you check your urine, by dip stick and what does GCA cause to change a in a normal urine?  

Never having purchased a pharmacy dipstick,I'm not sure of all the chemical reactions are on these strips. In the lab, the dipsticks show about ten tests, the ones involving stones or UTI be the ones showing blood or WBC's or bacteria. Here in US, positive dipstick tests for these components are than looked at microscopically by the urinalysis tech. Blood cell, both white and red would then be quantified, as crystals would be identified, and bacteria noted. Giving the Dr information about infection and or stones.

• Posted

How did you get a positive test for a UTI. Did you get a clean catch? Did you clean your self before testing. Did you use a dipstick? I get the idea from taking with Dr. And this website, we seem to have many different problems. When I'm reducing I feel flu like, think it's my adrenal glands.
  • Posted

Hi Carol; as I've said before to others, I don't have PMR/ GCA, but from your pain, and having blood in urine, I too agree with others re being Kidney related....and nothing to do with your PMR.....pain in the Loin area (kidney location in body), and the blood in urine, does sound like ?kidney stones (is it constant, or come and go like in waves?)   The blood would be secondary to your system trying to break down the stones, and causing minor "scratching....for a better explaination" which would cause you to have blood in your urine.   Some other symptoms would be "wanting to pass urine more often than usual, and the pain can radiate into front of abdomen into groin"....does this happen?.....As one other replier stated, you should be having an Ultra-Sound on Loin area/a dye CT scan...the CT is much more effecient than Ultra-sound, as it will Completely show how the Urinary System (from kidneys to Urethra....passing along Ureters and Bladder)....it will definately show if there is a Stone/anything....it is a good idea for you to have this done, to ensure all is well, and if not, then appropriate treatment will/should follow.   We are all here, and will be waiting for any news.......hoping I have helped, and not made things worse for you?      Until we hear more from you, a special thought for you, as I know you already have enough problems, and really don't want any more..................Bron
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply I really do not have much pain it is more like discomfort I wake up when there is urjne in my bladder the feeling is like when I have a UTI but I have had times in the past when my bladder was just irritated green tea does this to me.
    • Posted

Hi Carol;  if the increased water consumption doesn't help, then ?maybe it might be worth checking out the symptoms of Interstitial Cystites....it has some of the symptoms of an UTI, but is more to do with the walls of the Bladder being the culprit, causing the frequency.  If you also have pelvic pain,and other probs that are listed on the Symptom Checker, it ???maybe the problem.....Having blood in your urine isn't normal, so I really feel you should be having more checks done by GP/ referral to an Urologist....keep us informed, as this one is bothering me......Bron
  • Posted

Both PMR and pred can cause something called irirtable bladder syndrome - it mimics the symptoms of a UTI. Lots of people have compalined about it on the forums and one of the PMR research consultants - who had been surprised at the assertations from the patients in the group - stared asking her patients. And yes - a lot had this problem, with or without pred.

Once I was on pred I found it often happened after a day where I hadn't drunk as much as usual - eventually we came to the conclusion that I was excreting excess calcium in my urine and as it was concentrated because of low fluid intake it was forming grit and that irritated the bladder/urethra. When I consciously drink plenty when travelling I'm fine.

• Posted

Thank you Eileen this is probably it I must drink more water.I am bad about not doing this. This forum is invaluable thank you again!
  • Posted

You should ask your doctor for a blood test for kindney function. Just because there is no infection showing on dip stick test, it doesn't mean that blood, protein and other values are normal.
    • Posted

It is interesting that your adrenal glands sit on top of your kidneys. They can apparently can cause pain,This is apossibility as I am currentlly reducing pred

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.