Prednisone and travel

Posted , 8 users are following.

Maybe I'm over thinking this one but I thought I'd ask anyway.  In June I will be taking a trip that jumps 6 time zones.  Currently I'm taking my Prednisone split dose at 7 am and 10 pm +/- and having very good results.  Do I ignore the time zone change and continue at those times even though I'll gain or lose 6 hours during the travel days?  That late evening dose has been the key for my feeling well in the morning.  This is the first long distance trip since being "blessed" with PMR 2 years ago so I thought I'd ask.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Is it a single flight or are you stopping en-route?

Either way - what I do is take my dose on the day of travel as normal. Then, after about 22 hours I take proportionally enough pred to bridge the gap to the normal time I would take my dose at the destination. Then I take the pred at the normal time for the entire trip. In some ways I suppose it is the same as your split - except on the day of travel the second dose will be a bit bigger. Does that make sense?

Pred is one of the few drugs you need to adjust when you take it to fit with the circadian rhythm of cortisol production at local time. Most things the medics say to take them at the same time you would at home (i.e. using home time not local time).

• Posted

It's nonstop both ways.  What both of you say makes sense.  Basically, I'd pop an extra 1/2 dose both ways.  One direction it bridges the gap while the other direction I will have taken an extra 1/2 dose which is no big deal and yes I agree it would help with the travel stress!

• Posted

I don't find I need an extra half dose the short way round (west to east) though I suppose it depends on the length of the flight. But a bit extra for one day never harms!

I have a trip to S Korea in a few weeks - last time I got there and retreated to bed (after lunch having almost fallen asleep in my soup) and then slept until the next morning, waking only to have a snack and a glass of wine.Then I half slept all day on a train journey and had another couple of hours before dinner. After that I was fine! Don't think I have as much time to sleep myself into the new time zone this trip though! 

• Posted

I also think it depends which direction you are travelling in.  As I was travelling five hours eastwards when I was on holiday recently,making for a much shortened day, I actually took my regular pred dose significantly earlier than I would have, in fact at the time often recommended to stop inflammation buildup in its tracks.  Had I been going in the other direction I would probably have adjusted things differently, like PMRpro's suggestion.  Had no trouble readjusting when I got home, with the longer arrival day, but then I was home and able to rest, and from the UK where I'd been four days it's only four hours anyway.  I don't have any trouble with jet lag since I started inhaling a jet lag formula from my local aromatherapist.  

• Posted

The short way I just take my normal dose for the day of travel - and take the normal dose next day. It's a bit extra for the 24 hours - helps with the stress of travel!

• Posted

Hi Raven, When I did my first long haul flight with PMR, someone on here suggested I take Homeopathic rescue remedy as well. I did and I had great flights both ways and no jet lag. I felt better at both ends than I have for a few years.
    • Posted

I just had a couple of flights, and not a bit of nerves even in some turbulence.  Yay for Rescue Remedy!  I don't even measure it, just squirt a dropperful into my mouth at take off and have a swig of water.  

• Posted

It helped me sleep reasonably peacefully on the plane too, something I usually can't do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.