Prednisone, Anxiety advice please

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi new to forum and I am in the US. I have been on 5mg daily of prednisone to treat low cortisol for almost 2 years. Recently over the last few months I have noticed that I am very anxious and dealing with anxiety issues. When the treatment for low cortisol began for me the MD tried hyrdocortisone but that caused me headaches and sinus issues, so ever since I have been on prednisone.

However as mentioned over the last few weeks I have really had anxiety issues that have caused me to really worry about things and question my confidence, along with a gnawing feeling in my gut that just wont leave

Question, is anyone else on 5mg having these kinds of issues ? Also I would be thrilled with advice on what I should do. I am tired of the constant anxious feeling thanks !!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have been trying to come off of prednisone for 6 months now and I cant seem to do it. Im currently at 8mg and anxiety comes and goes for me, too. I have awful nightmares at 10mg. Ive never had anxiety before but it has come out I think because of the adrenal glands are not sure what to do at this dosage. I was down to 2mg at one point....the lower I got, the more nervous I was about all kinds of stuff. 

Are you planning on staying at 5mg indefinetely? Does it make you tired? I need 10 hours of sleep a night to feel normal.

• Posted

Have you both been diagnosed with Addison's disease? I feel prednisone is such an evil drug I am not a fan of it. I had terrible allergy problems and the allergist just always went to prednisone to fix me. I was diagnosed with primary Addison's disease and I am on.1 fludrocortison and 30 mg hydrocortisone broken up through the day.Some days are definitely better than others. I do all I can to keep stress it off but life. I hope this helps.

• Posted

No I'm only diagnosed with reactive arthritis. How did you know you had addison's?

I have mixed feelings about prednisone. It doesn't seem great that it messes with your body's balance, but it definitely takes the pain away.

I had a friends dad talk to me and say if I had to stay on a very low dose of prednisone my whole life even, it would be okay. He said not to worry and he's been fine that way his whole life. I'm not sure what to think.

My doctor really wants me to try and get off and says if I can't, sulfasalazine is the next best option.

I've never heard of your medications - are they specifically for Addison's disease?

Glad you've found something that works.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.