Prednisone changes my life

Posted , 8 users are following.

Everyone else has problems with prednisone. I was put on prednisone for 8 days to clear up my dermatitis which got out of hand. It cleared it up of course but it also seemed to get my body out of allergy mode. I felt like a new person. I felt better when I woke up in the morning. Instead of groggy and hating that I had to get up I almost jumped out of bed ready for the day. Can someone please explain to me why the antihistamines I take don't really help with all my allergies but this prednisone worked wonders for me! Of course after it wore off i was back to hating life again but my doctor said he didn't want to put me on prednisone long term due to the side effects. Instead I take antihistamines and nasal spray and steroid cream for skin. The steroid cream actually works pretty well. The other stuff not so much. And none of it helps with my energy. I've been doing allergy shots for a year but no change so far. I've had this tiredness no energy problem for probably 6 to 7 years. It slowly came on and my allergies slowly got worse and worse. I really want to go back to how I was when I was on prednisone but I'm afraid I could end up worse in the long run. Antihistamines aren't helping. Maybe I need to up my dosage? Maybe it's not the right medicine. Thanks for all and any help.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi nicholas.  Prednisone is a powerful corticosteroid drug that works by suppressing the immune system.  Whereas antihistamines work by suppressing only the histamine receptors in the body.  However, antihistamines are usually only used for short-term relief of allergies.  So if you only have to take antihistamines for, say, occassional hayfever, then using prednisone instead is like using a bulldozer to crack a peanut!  I've been on long-term prednisone for Multiple Autoimmune Syndrome, and would love to get off it, as I've got all sorts of nasty reactions (including stomach cramps and nausea) but unfortunately for me antihistamines just aren't an option.  My histamine receptors are doing their job, it's just my immune system that's out of control!

However, if you have so many allergies, I'd suggest you go to another doctor and ask to be tested for Multiple Autoimmune Syndrome.  I lived with this for fifty years (I'm now in my 60's) before getting a diagnosis!  

Bests.

Minamii

• Posted

Steroids are probably the most powerful antiinflammatory drug there is - and have a dramatic effect in most allergies by suppressing the immune system reaction that causes the problems. Unfortunately they are powerful drugs in other ways and many doctors are terrified of using them long term because of the perceived side effects. These are certainly significant and important at high doses, less so at lower ones, but still can cause problems long term.

Are you under a dermatologist? Maybe a second opinion might be in order?

• Posted

Hi I’ve been on prednisone for 2 years now every time dr starts reducing them all my problems come back and feel really bad recently he upped them again and yes feeling great but they just totally take over immune system don’t think things will ever be the same without the prednisone but really not sure what damage they are doing. Try staying off them if you can otherwise just try a really low dose
    • Posted

Hi Doreen

i have had to be on Prednisone for over two years for Chronic Urticaria.  I have been able to be on low dose 1mg for months now but as soon as I start to go off the Prednisone I start breaking out in hives again.  I also have to take Allegra...between the two meds it helps to keep the hives away..... I long for remission!  Hopefully the low dose Prednisone is not doing damage.  I will have bone density done again.  Last time I had Osteopenia although that could be age as I am 66 now.  How many mg do you need to be on Prednisone?  No one wants to be on it but it has been a blessing to be able to have quality of life.  I wish you well!

• Posted

Hi Wendy

Dose keeps going up an down high as 40mg lowering monthly as soon as I get to 5mg start constant coughing loads of sputum and unable to walk far as so breathless but still no diagnosis have another ct scan next wk and see consultant nxt Friday so wanting answers and another opinion. I have rubbish bones had knee, hip and shoulder replacements so really worry being on prednisone for so long. Yes feel on cloud nine when on them but really rough when down to 5mg at moment down to 15mg go to 12.5 nxt wk.  I wish you well and as you say they do give some quality of life but what damage are they doing is my question.

• Posted

Have you tried dietary interventions?

Often, things like dermatitis and asthma etc are highly correlated with dietary intolerances - even if they don't produce digestive symptoms. Try cutting out gluten, sugar and dairy for 30 days and see what happens. I know many people who have "cured" their allergies and autoimmune diseases through diet alone. Look into it if you don't believe me. It's not quackery. smile

Also, stay away from Prednisone, unless it's a life or death issue. It's just not worth it. You'll feel amazing (like I did too), but it will utterly decimate your body in the long run.

• Posted

Just to add to anja's comment: I develop a burning itchy rash if I eat wheat. It isn't gluten that is the problem as I can eat other gluten-containing grains, it is a reaction to something in the structure of the wheat starch, and only the hard wheat used in UK and US white bread, pasta and so on. I can eat products make of the soft French wheat or spelt or kamut which are also wheats. 

My grandaughter had ecxema as a toddler, it cleared entirely by removing dairy products from her diet. As she got older it seemed to have gone - but at 7 she developed severe brittle asthma which had her in the ED a few times and the doctors simply couldn't control it. It did improve with a medication revamp to higher doses but a couple of years ago she decided to go vegetarian out of conviction and then, a few months later, became vegan. The asthma has disappeared almost entirely - she has the occasional attack if she has a cold but otherwise is fine. No steroids needed now - that was all that was keeping her alive before.

Diet can play a major role - so it is worth experimenting.

• Posted

Hi Nicholas

I have Chronic Urticaria and had it 3 times in my life and was able to take antihistamines to keep the hives away and the hives would gradually go way after about 2 years each time then gone a decade.  This time I'm 66 and July 2015 I started breaking out in hives again but antihistamines could not keep the hives back.  Finally found wonderful doctor at Johns Hopkins.  I had to be on Cyclosporine then doctor needed to add Prednisone.....that was the only thing that gave me quality of life back.  After months doctor very slowly took me off the Cyclosporine then VERY slowly 1mg at a time going down off the Prednisone after I would go down a mg I would stay on that for couple of weeks then go down another mg as long as I was hive free.  It took many months but I am down to 1mg Prednisone with an Allegra in the evening.  I have been on 1mg...very low dose Prednisone for almost a year and may have to live with Prednisone.  It has given me quality of life which is such a blessing as my life was horrible with much suffering prior......... I want to badly to totally get off the Prednisone but whenever I go down I start to break out in hives again.  I share this as the importants of going down on Prednisone is so very important for your body to adapt.  When other doctors would put me on the week or two pack.......within a week after going off ........all the hives and more would be all over body.  I have gone through hundreds of 1mg Prednisone tablets.  If you have to be on Prednisone then the lower dose the better...and as one of the bloggers just mentioned Diet is so important.  I have started to breakout out in some hives this past week as I have been eating more tomatoes and soup that was tomatoes base.....adding histamines is not good. Hopefully that is the issue as I don't want to go up on meds.

i wish you all well.

wendy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.