Prednisone combined with Tramadol

Posted , 11 users are following.

Well, I think I found a bonanza, at least for me.

I've had PMR for about 1.5 years.  I started with 60 mg (much to high, I know), and now I'm down to 8 mg.  The 8 mg is livable, except for the wee hours of the morning.  My ribs hurt as the night wears on, and I don't sleep good at all.  I was thinking about increasing the predizone, until I thought of Tramadol.

I had a vial of Tramadol, and tried taking 1 pill at night before bed.

WOW.

It didn't take away all the discomfort but it sure does help.

Now I take my 8 mg of prednisone in the AM, and my 50 mg of Tramadol before bed and I'm doing so much better.

I told my GP about it, and he said "there are a WHOLE LOT of more destructive drugs you could be taking than Tramadol," and totally supported my plan.

Anybody else have experience with Tramadol?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I took just one Tramadol tablet in my first undiagnosed year which brought on almost immediate dizziness and an 'out of it' feeling, so scary that I never took another and would never take it again.
  • Posted

Tramadol isn't an addictive opiod as per say percoset, etc.. I have been using tramadol for 10 yrs following a surgery that was life threatning. I have fibromyalgia and arthritis in my lower spine. Some days I can't function at all. The tramadol take the edge off and allows me to walk. I am not addicted but I have found that I can't walk or move without it because of the pain. I am also on prednisone for inflammation flare ups.

• Posted

NHS Choices says:

"Tramadol is a powerful painkiller related to morphine that can be used to treat neuropathic pain that doesn't respond to other treatments your GP can prescribe. Like all opioids, tramadol can be addictive if it's taken for a long time. It will usually only be prescribed for a short time."

YOU may not be addicted - but it has the potential to be so. 

• Posted

A few years ago, here in the US, the Veterans Administration has listed Tramadol as it would the most controlled and addictive drugs.....

we have  record opioid addiction here. Caution would be advised. Good luck. 

• Posted

Tramadol is a good pain killer. It is suggested that it should not be taken long term though. I can understand you taking it if you are in pain.

Don't kid yourself, tramadol is addictive, it is an opiod. Prednisone is not. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.