prednisone for psoriatic arthritis

Posted , 4 users are following.

i was reading some of the feeds on prednidsone.They have been saying polyarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis (no active psoriasis for 50 years) and I also have fibromyalgia.

My RA doctor said my sed rates are just a little elevated but my physical symptons and my xrays indicate it is active PsA...I use Enbrel and 5 months ago started back on methotrexate. Yesterday she wanted to start me on Prednisone on a decreasing dose to 7.5 for 2 months after ist doing  15 mg for 30 days and then 10 mg for 30 days.

I am very afraid of the side affects.Has anyone had the moon face hair etc. side effects??

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rhonda - I have been on prednisone for just over 2 years (unfortunately!), mostly at very low levels. But I started on 15mg for 2 weeks, then 10mg for 1 month and then slowly reduced to 6mg.  I don’t have any of the physical side effects - moon face etc. I’m sure that you are concerned but from what I see with friends, those types of side effects occur at much higher levels, sustained for longer periods. I know it’s not easy to make medication decisions... to weigh the pros/cons ... but for me personally, prednisone has been extremely helpful.  Good luck!!!
    • Posted

thank you for your caring email.....I will try it because my pain level can be terrible and unpredictable.

I will let you know when I start ....

• Posted

Yes I remember those days of intense pain only too well. I really hope that you find relief!  Please do keep me posted...
  • Posted

Hi Rhonda

Like Connie, I have been taking Pred for over 2 years and unfortunately I have been affected by the side effects, more on that later but first let me reassure you that a 2 month reducing schedule that you will not develop a moon face or gain weight or lose your hair. If you have not taken Pred before I think you will feel terrific; your level of pain will drop dramatically; you will feel good! Pred is like the hormone cortisol, our bodies produce cortisol naturally, I think in the kidneys. That's the reason why Pred is given in a reduction schedule. Apparently when taking it our bodies may stop producing cortisol as we have sufficient in our blood, due to taking those little pills. That will not happen in a 2 month period,trust me. It's more likely to occur in long term & high dosage. I hope this info helps to put your mind at rest.

I have developed some side effects but I've been on 30mg daily for 8 months. Initially, over 2 years ago I started on 15mg and the benefits were amazing! ! Got me out of a wheelchair, I have psoriatic arthritis by the way. I had no side effects for 12 months or so. Due to the level of pain and disease activity, my dosage crept up to 30mg and wow, the side effects began -gained over 2 stone in weight, moonface and horrendous sweats. I'm desperate to get off them as I'm very unhappy with how I look, seriously unhappy, I can't bear to look in the mirror as my face is bloated, as for my body shape..............put it this way, I've gone from size 8 to 12/14. I'm on 15mg daily now, following a reduction schedule. As my dosage has been long term, reduction is long process and I must be patient. In terms of medication for PsA, I'm currently on Cosentyx which I started 28th June and it's fantastic - my inflammation markers have reduced dramatically.

Sorry if I've waffled too long about me & my problems. My advice to you would be follow your doctors suggestion because I believe that Pred will reduce your disease activity, reduce pain and will give you a 'lift' in yourself - what's not to like? Good luck, Rhonda. Please let us know what happens. Sheila

• Posted

I understand your feelings, however friends and family are happy to see you out of pain.

I would look forward to getting out of bed and not walking like I have swim fins on...my whole body is sore....compounded by fibromyalga.

I have no active psoriasis plaques, my fingers are very swollen with the swan neck..I feel more confident hearing from you and also re the dosage....thank you.Please be brave....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.