Prednisone masked peritonitis

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, new to this group. Have experience to share and would appreciate feedback on my situation. I was diagnosed with PMR over a year ago and put on 20 mg prednisone, which my MD said was a "low dose" which I could take for a year. Have learned this was not good advise. The pain subsided but never completely went away. I tried tapering off 2.5 mg at a time, and when I got to 12.5, the full pain came roaring back. My new MD put me on 40 mg to "blow it out." Pain left. One morning I woke up with debilitating stomach pain and low fever. It went away after about 4 hours. The next morning I had mild pain and while poking around discovered a hernia. Went to the emergency room to have it checked, they did a CT scan and found diverticulitis ( a hole in my colon) which was allowing bacteria into my abdominal cavity (peritonitis). They said it had nothing to do with the hernia - just a lucky coincidence, because had I not come in, I would have been dead within 48 hours. Everyone was totally amazed that I had walked in under my own power with minimal pain. Apparently the prednisone had masked the symptoms. Surgery involved removing 8" of colon and putting me on a colostomy bag for 3-4 months.  In the hospital, they brought me down from 40 mg prednisone with an IV version so I left with the equivalent of 20 mg oral. Started tapering off and again extreme pain came back about 12.5 mg. Went back to 17.5 which brought the pain to a bearable level and am now trying to go down 1 mg per week. Have a (first) rheumatologist appointment in 3 weeks. My MD is sympathetic but out of her depth. Glad to have found this site. Thank you.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Best to you Susan, thoughts & prayers, & hoping your Rheumatologist will be as empathetic, & knowledgeable as mine is. I've been as high as 40mg. & now lowest just this week at 9mg. All PMR symptons returning, not as severe though. Drs., Rheumatologist & Family Dr. want to keep reducing to see if symptoms worsen or stay about where they're at. And, they want me to get a SED rate weekly. I want off the steroids so badly, to many bad side-effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.