Prednisone muscle loss

Posted , 9 users are following.

Three weeks ago I was put on Prednisone (40mg/day for 5 days, no taper) and I've experienced significant muscle loss right after. It's very frustrating because I have been doing weight training at least five nights per week for the past couple of years and I feel like all of the progress I was making is gone. I've lost 10lbs and I feel so weak that I can barely walk for more than a few minutes, all of my tendons feel weak. I'm trying to eat more protein and do as much exercise as I can, which isn't much, and I even decided to try physical therapy. Has anyone else experienced anything like this and did you recover or is this permanent? I am having a lot of other hellish symptoms from this steroid at the moment, but this is the worst.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I don't want to be an annoying over poster, but I just feel so awful right now and this is the only place where I feel heard. I am so desperate for someone I can relate to with all of this and for advice for what I should do about it. Here is an obnoxiously long list of the symptoms I've been having since taking prednisone:

*Muscle wasting- my shoulder and pelvic regions were affected the worst

*Muscle weakness- especially in my neck, arms and jaw

*Hair thinning, dried out

*Oily/shinny skin

*Eyelashes fragile

*Increased stress/ panic attacks out of nowhere- My previous history with anxiety is social anxiety disorder and panic attacks in high school (I graduated 4 years ago)

*Tension headaches

*High blood pressure- I've always had low blood pressure before

*Dizziness/Depersonalization

*Facial swelling

*Memory and concentration issues

*Joint cracking/popping

*Extreme fatigue

*Abnominal/back pain

It's just so bizarre that such a small dose would have caused all of this when I was mostly fine before. I'm trying to be patient and hope that it will start to improve, but I feel like it's getting worse. My jobs revolves around dancing and teaching dance, so not being able to move very well is putting all of that on hold. I don't want to be too dramatic about it because I know there are people that have been on prednisone for years and have it way worse than me. Also, thank you to everyone who has replied to me, I appreciate you so much.

• Posted

I took Prednisone from Tuesday October 8, 2019 to Monday October 14, 2019. I was taking 20 mg per day. After my prescribed duration, I experienced withdrawal symptoms such as fatigue, irregular heartbeat feeling (pounding and rapid), trouble sleeping, dry mouth and eyes, indigestion feeling, gastritis (gnawling feeling), rage (rushing to cook food and eat), increased appetite, hyperness, mood swings, severe anxiety and depression.

It is currently December, I am still experiencing symptoms such as dry mouth, puffy eyes, indigestion feeling but have slow bowel movements, gastritis, rapid heartbeat, trouble sleeping, depression and anxiety. I recently started experiencing upper abdominal discomfort feeling in chest and back. Hopefully, this is just gas.

If I had a do over, I regret taking this medication. This drug disrupts my excitement of life in many ways. I pray that others and I feel better soon. I researched online that Predisone withdrawal can last from several weeks to 12 months. This period depends on how long you was taking the drug and the dosage. Prayer helps me.

• Posted

There is no way that you should just stop dead after taking prednisone, should ALWAYS be tapered off.

I have been on it for two years and have to take increased doses if I have an exacerbation but I always taper down again to as low as I can get away with. Recently I have had to go up from 2 1/2mgs, to 5mgs to 10mgs daily because of my advancing conditions, for me personally this drug has been the only thing that has enabled me to function, I absolutely hate taking drugs so would not take it if not absolutely necessary. I have no side effects what so ever other than wanting to eat a scabby dog !!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.