Prednisone reaction?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I’ve had swollen eyelids for a few months and the doctor put me on Prednisone on Friday. By Saturday my skin was burning and by Sunday my face was swollen. My tongue feels

like it’s burning. When I speak to the doctors; they say that prednisone does not cause reactions like this and I need it to combat the allergic reaction (which was just swollen eyes till I started taking this). 

Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? I think I should just stop taking them?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

What you describe COULD be angiodema:

"Angioedema is an area of swelling of the lower layer of skin and tissue just under the skin or mucous membranes. The swelling may occur in the face, tongue, larynx, abdomen, or arms and legs. Often it is associated with hives, which are swelling within the upper skin."

and the burning sensation COULD be a sign of an allergic reaction. Just from a description it is sifficult to say though.

However - if you have either of these they could be due to the prednisone, and they are listed as rare side effects of prednisone. It is possible to have an allergic reaction to pred even though it is normally used to deal with allergic reactions.

Was your doctor sure the swollen eyelids are an allergic reaction? He doesn't seem to have been in much of a hurry to deal with the problem.

If at any point you have any swelling of your mouth or difficulty breathing do go to the ER.

A good person to ask about the symptoms would be your local pharmacist - they are rather more clued-up about drug reactions than most doctors. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.