Prednisone short term effects - tiredness?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've started a 7 day course of these steroids, due to chest and nasal inflammation. I feel very tired and wondered if that is normal, as I was

expecting the opposite. Also no relief so far but it is early days.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

By no means everyone gets the so-called "steroid boost" - I never did! And you have a systemic illness which will make you feel rubbish.

• Posted

I also do not get the steroid boost, am on prednisone indefinitely. By the way do not just stop steroids, taper off, some people have horribly side effects abruptly stopping, especially from high dosage, not saying you will but better safe than sorry. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

No need to taper after only a week - acute use is very different from chronic use like us. Up to 2 weeks and stop is fine whatever the dose.

• Posted

Sorry Eileen don't agree, Sarah will very probably be on a high dose to fight infection so tapering is prudent

• Posted

A 7-day pack will almost certainly include a taper in its dosage. But if you are given a 7-day pack - how are you then supposed to taper without a further prescription?

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. My gp did not mention tapering but I will check.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.