Prednisone taper

Posted , 5 users are following.

Help! I need advice-

I am tapering off prednisone .5 mg every 2 weeks. I'm down to 5.5 mg and I don't feel well...my muscles ache all over and I must be clenching my jaw in my sleep because it hurts to chew food.

people experienced with tapering- how important is it that I stay at my exact same dosage of prednisone every single day for the 2 weeks? For example, can I rotate back and forth between 5.5 and 6 mg or does that confuse the body more? Or maybe I should just push through this hard amount and rest more?

Any advice on your prednisone taper dos and dont's is appreciated!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Predisolene is an easy answer for docters they are not the answer for athritus
  • Posted

Hi.... I have tapered off of prednisone several times and maintaining a schedule is important.  Plus, everyday I feel different regardless of the medication.  Some days are a lot better or worse than others.  It's matter of how you feel over time and are you getting better.  - Kelly

• Posted

Thanks, it's nice to hear similar experiences. I sometimes think I'm crazy/it's all in my head.

• Posted

Hi there. I was tapering down 1mg every 2 weeks and that seemed to have gone well. My doctor said its more something that's taken in the longer term. He said you can take 2mg and nothing on alternating days instead of trying to break the tablet in 2. Best to see what your doctor says though

• Posted

Hello,

I have had two experiences with Prednisone with the exception of several steroid injections. The first use of prednisone pills thirty years ago did absolutely nothing. The second use of the pills seemed to work for a few weeks until I noticed I was getting very verbally angry with my dog. She left my room with her tail between her legs. I knew then that I had to stop, so I talked with my doctor about how I should taper.

I did that and have since tried other meds; Humira (nothing), Cosentyx (nothing), Otezla (made me depressed), and now Remicade (seems to work very well).

Regarding your jaws, please be careful! I had to have both TMJs replaced five years ago. Avoid jewing gum! Have you considered a bite guard for the evening when you are sleeping? What about exercises (isometric and all the rest)? I found that keeping active was, besides the drugs, the best treatment I did; such as swimming, hill-bounding, cross-country skiing, and bicycling, All the herbal and food diets, and acupuncture did not help.

I hope this information helps you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.