Prednisone tapering schedule

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello ~first post, am 69 yr old retired RN who until June 20, 2020 had never heard of PMR.Was suffering from severe pain in bilateral shoulders , hip girdle and cervical spine..Labs were off the charts. GP settled on a diagnosis of PMR.Started on 20 mg of prednisone..relief within 2 days.Have been reducing at a level of 10% per month..sometimes a bit faster, developed SID steroid onduced Diabetes...am now at 4.5 mg..suddenly having signs of a flare.

Pain has returned to all areas, also have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Dr had warned that as I reduced the prednisone my RA would come back with a vengeance..started 200mg of Celebrex to aid in reducing inflammation..took it 5 days and have now stopped due to severe GI pain...

Have lost patience with Tx and disease..any one else at this level having similar feelings.love to hear .thanks..Snowflake

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Your prednisone reduction is way too fast. Average length of PMR is 6 years. Most people on this site have moved to PMRGCA HealthUnlocked where you can get more comments, advice. Your adrenal glands stop creating cortisol when on long term pred. You may be not only having PMR pain but also from adrenal function not working. Adrenal glands may start working very slowly at 7 mg. I am in my 5th year at 3 1/2 mgs. but I stayed at 6/7 mgs previously for those other years. You are indeed having a flare. Reducing below 10 mgs ideally would be at 1/2 mg increments There are reduction plans listed on this and the HealthUnlocked sites.

• Posted

Celebrex is the only member left in a class of drugs which have been removed from the market - the best of a bad lot I assume. This was prescribed to me when I was still undiagnosed for PMR (doctor thought it my OA getting worse).

Pred side effects, like weight gain or high blood sugar, can be very much mitigated by a low carb (especially "white" carbs) diet.

I agree with Peggy that you have reduced far too fast.

I reduced from 15 mg to 3 mg in one year, and that was considered fast. I then took a year to reduce to 1.5 mg! In spite of getting that low then I have spent most of the past four years at or around 2 mg. Have recently been experiencing my first major flare and am taking 10 mg again for a few days, first time since 2015, and should be able to deal with the flare in short order and taper back down to, perhaps, 3 for a while and eventually I hope back to 2 or less. I am disappointed because I was actually at zero for a few weeks less than a year ago! PMR is an annoying disease, but we learn to manage it, and,, perforce, we learn patience. 😄

You should join the HealthUnlocked forum. It is much more active than this one now is.

• Posted

This slow reduction site from EileenH might be of help for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.