Prednisone vs Steroid Injection

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I have sciatica and my doctor has given me an option to either take prednisone orally (50mg/day for 4 days) or I can get an injection.

Does anyone here have any experience as to which one is the better option?

Thanks,

Matty

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Matty, I've been a long term sufferer of sciatica and slipped disc syndrome, I've never been offered the medication you speak of but I've had the steroid injections and they have helped but the effects don't last long and I'm going back for another lot of injections soon, obviously tablets are never a long term solution I'm currently taking dihydracodeine and I'm now dependant on them which is no good!! So I would go ahead and get the injections done to see if this helps you. hope you get some relief.

• Posted

Cortisone injections rot (cause Necrosis) your bones & lowers the production of the Sinovial fluid (Lubricates your joints and discs) , only done as a last resort and then control how often you do it as it can end up being really disastrous. I'd choose the injection (or infiltration?) and see how long you get relief, IF it lasts quite a long time I was told you can get them done as much as four times a year. No more. I have the same thing & I'm taking Codeine and others with little success. Good luck.

• Posted

the one injection I had, and I really needed it, worked really good for me, I had real relief, good luck.

• Posted

hi

i have suffered with this nightmare for a few years im waiting for another appointment to see my surgeon ,

i had the injection 3 months ago it did nothing for me although it has helped other people,

as for the tablets there great they worked but the only problem is once i was of them the pain came back severe again ,i begged the doctor last month and he put me on them again for a week as i was exhaus ted with lack of sleep due to pain , and again they eased the pain , but its the back problem that needs fixing ,so i actually had more success with tablets ,

good luck x

• Posted

I feel your pain, it is too bad the injection didn't help more. Surgery can work, good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.