PREGABALIN

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been given 150 pregabalin 3 times daily for severe anxiety along with fluoextine for depression. I was waking at 4 every morning before taking  pregabalin and anxiety kept me from sleeping etc. Started 150 yesterday, took one when I went to bed and slept till 9am, then fell asleep again till 1pm. But I feel totally spaced out and light headed. But anxiety pings I can sort of put them out of my mind.

Being spaced out is so weird, like you are not with your body etc.

Will this spaced out feeling etc go away. 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jasper,

?You have been started on a rather large dose of Pregabalin which I find concerning.

?600mg is the max dose each day a patient can take and already you are on 450mg. This drug makes you spaced out, Yes - this drug makes you sleep deeply, Yes. Many sufferers of Anxiety find that initially this drug deals efficiently with their Anxiety yet report that after 6 weeks or so the Anxiety returns sometimes worse than before taking the drug. Please do all possible research on this treatment before committing yourself to taking it every day, read the leaflet that accompanies it thoroughly. There are many side effects reported, some of which you may start to experience soon and within one week this drug changes your brain chemistry and if you should at some point wish to stop taking it you must never go cold turkey because you risk having seizures and other withdrawals that are unpleasant to say the least. I have been on it for 16 months now and was given it for chronic nerve pain. It worked and the pain went away, but the side effects for me have been dreadful: Brain fog, memory loss, balance issues, sleeping very deeply but never beneficially, skin itching feeling as if I have insects crawling under my skin and so many more. Some obviously do not suffer all of this and some suffer none or more, but to me it was not worth losing my brain to combat pain. I was only on 100mg x 2 daily and now I am very slowly coming off them currently on 50mg x 2 a day and already I feel more alert, brain fog is lifting and still sleeping well but in a more beneficial way. The longer you take Pregablin the worse it is to get off them. GP's and Consultants think this is a new Wonder Drug and are giving it out for all kinds of health problems - they are not listening yet to patients who go back and say that it has awful side effects and withdrawals. In fact some GPs swear it is non-addictive, has no side effects and you can come off them any time you choose with no withdrawal symptoms.  I am fortunate that my GP did listen (although she didn't necessarily agree with me) and has allowed me to taper off 10% at a time until I can stop using them. You have time to look into this and I hope you do before becoming reliant on them. Only you can make the decision of course but I genuinely wish someone had stepped up and told me what I now tell you. I would never have touched them had I known. I wish you well with your decision and hope your Anxiety lessens with or without them. Fluoxetine is a good anti-depressant which I took for 6 years (also had to come off them slowly) so just in my experience you shoudn't have a problem taking them. You can pm if you wish for further discussion on Pregabalin before or after you do some research.

• Posted

This is my first day and all I can say is that it has brightened me up re my chronic depression. And was great to have a good long sleep. My depression etc is due to a brain injury back in 2007. Was always on ant depress drugs, but, being happy etc, thought I would come off them. Bad move. Have been back on fluoxetine for 3 weeks and just starting to work, but, today, being high etc, happy boy etc. Anxiety comes in but I just seem to kick it away. Yep, very high dose, but, when you are feeling suicidal etc, can understand why dr has boosted me. Will the light headed etc go away though.
    • Posted

It never went away for me Jasper but I had retired from work so it didn't impinge on my life. If you are working, it may be a bit of a problem to you as I also found concentration difficult and certainly would not have been able to complete time related or target led tasks. The brain fog set in about 6 weeks after starting Pregabalin and then other side effects followed. If you do the research you will find that suicide ideation is also a side effect as well as deepening depression and anxiety down the line. I can only say that some find it works well for them and continue on it and others would warn you even more strongly than I not to take it. It has taken me since end of January to get down to 50mg x 2 as if I tried to cut too much out I suffered awful withdrawals. This is my experience only of the drug. Others may come in on this discussion yet and give you advice so keep your options open but please don't think after just one day being spaced out and sleeping more that is all there is to it. You could go back and read other recently made posts on here and get a general idea from several members of this forum if you want to.

• Posted

Can totally understand. I am a self employed commercial photographer and loved my work. So the depression and anxiety just totally stopped me.

Yep, this is the first 24 hours of the pregabalin, but, I have been happy today and went out with cameras etc. 

Have been on the fluoxetine for 3 weeks and I know that they worked before and sorted my depression, so to feel happy was a great feeling.

my symptoms are all from a brain injury back in 2007, basically the part that was damaged is linked to depression etc, but I know that they sorted me before, however, I thought I was sorted and stopped taking them.

Bang, one day I just could not function down in the deep depths with severe anxiety. Been back and forth to DR, 

Hopefully with feeling happy the fluoxetine is starting to kick in etc.

• Posted

Jasper, I wish you all the very best and am so glad you had a good day. Cherish it! Fluoxetine worked for me as well but after 5 years on I had dealt with the situation in my life that led me to take them. Your situation is very different - however, I am almost certain that Pregabalin will not help you long term, only temporarily. Then you have to face your brain chemistry and central nervous system having become dependent on them and kicking up one hell of a fuss when you try to deprive them of this drug. It is a very far reaching man made chemical cosh that comes with consequences. Lets hope the Fluoxetine works well and as you are self employed at least you will know that you can continue working on just them. Brain injuries take so much time to heal and taking a drug that actually re-arranges your brain chemistry is the last thing you need. Could you consider not taking another Pregabalin while the Fluox are still kicking in, say another 3 to 6 weeks ? Then you can make a really well informed decision for yourself. Please keep us posted as to your progress
    • Posted

I am hoping to just be on the pregabalin for 3 weeks and then come away from them.

Fingers are crossed as I know that I got fixed before and set up a good going business. 

• Posted

Just take in this one fact Jasper, it only takes ONE week before your brain chemistry is altered, not 3. Even after 3 weeks you may well suffer withdrawals, that is why I suggested giving Fluox more time to kick in before considering taking any more Pregabalin. That way you can concentrate on doing what you love and developing it into a good business. I really wish you the very best and a good future.
    • Posted

Hi Jasper, I concur with Elizabeth85938, esp' when she commented on Pregabalin (Lyrica): "you have to face your brain chemistry and central nervous system having become dependent on them and kicking up one hell of a fuss when you try to deprive them of this drug. It is a very far reaching man made chemical cosh that comes with consequences."

I took Pregabalin for only two and a half weeks, after which time the symptoms and side effects were horrendous. I couldn't function at all: blurred vision, walking as if drunk; chronic chronic fatigue; a strong spaced out feeling, I even developed peripheral neuropathy because of Lyrica, plus a host of other debilitating symptoms.

11 weeks later after stopping the drug, I am still suffering from withdrawals, of all of the above although to a slightly lesser extent,

My life is currently on hold.

I know of pregabalin users where the drug ha been taken as prescribed, are still suffering from horrendous side=effects one year later after discontinuing the drug. 

Pregabalin ruins lives, make no mistake.

• Posted

This is day 2 of taking and no extreme high, spaced out today and anxiety quite calm. I hope to only be on them for 3 weeks or till my fluoxetine takes a proper hold. I am starting to get the happy feeling back. 
    • Posted

I wouldn't like to say I didn't warn you Jasper. There are just under 5000 members of a social media group who would endorse what I have said, and in fact has ruined most of their lives.

Good luck, you're going to need it.

• Posted

To be honest, your comments etc are not very good for someone suffering from extreme depression. Should I just go to a cliff and jump now. 
    • Posted

I'm sorry Jasper, and my apologies. That was not my intention. All I am trying to do is warn you of the risks and dangers in taking Pregabalin which Elizabeth has highlighted.

I would follow her advice as we have both experienced the dangers of that drug.

I hope the Fluoxetine has kicked in sufficiently now for you, as you have said it has worked for you in the past.

I wish you well (from a fellow depressive sufferer)

• Posted

Thanks Chris, totally accepted, yes the fluoxetine is starting to work, but I was in sheer desperation with my anxiety, waking at 4am every day and this lasting almost all day. I was even given Diazepam small dose, but did not work, imagine how happy i was to be waken at 9 yesterday and 730 today and in both occasions able to fall asleep again, esp yesterday as I was totally shattered. I have 100 and 50's of Pregabalin, so over the next 3 weeks, will, try weaning away etc as I would hope that the fluoxetine will kick well in.

• Posted

Hi Jasper, thank you for accepting my apology. I didn't mean to upset you.

Be interested in knowing how you get on, so keep us posted.

I too am a depressive or suffer from depression, that is major depression so I know what you are going through.

My very best wishes.

• Posted

I take a 150 at bed time and this has sorted out my sleep and get  at least 6 hours sound and waken without severe anxiety. I then take another 150 and this just puts me as high as a kite and very light headed. I am now not going to take a pill in the morning and see how it goes and drop down to a 100 or 50 during day.
    • Posted

Thanks Jasper66. So you will be weaning off the Pregabalin over the next three weeks, so let us know how you get on with that, I would be very interested.

My very best.

• Posted

Will do, took my 150 last night at bedtime, had good sleep, woke at 0830 feeling good but not as usual, did not take a tablet, albeit, that is my 8hr stage (take 3 per day) got up ok etc and on go.

Things started to twing a tad at 1400hrs re anxiety so have taken a 50.

I dont want to be on drugs as I know that the fluoxetine has worked perfectly before for me, it was all mny stupid fault for stopping taking them after 7 years. 

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.