Pregabalin 75mg x 2

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi  Wondering if anyone else is getting these symptoms . Husband is on Pregabalin (day 11) and taking 75mg in morning and 75mg at night. He is having awful side effects - sleepy all day, very wobbly on feet , cannot sleep at night and slurred speech (checked for stroke and given the all clear) and life is at a standstill at the moment.Taking them for GAD Anyone else in the same situation please?  Thanks

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Have you contacted the prescribing dr or another gp to verify if that's known side effects to that specific drug or maybe switch the medication all together? Most side effects from a lot of these kinds of medication usually clear up with the first ten days and leave only lingering ones behind, I'm on Celexa and had terrible effects for 3 days and was left dizzy/cloudy and more prone to anxiety and panic attacks from that point until yesterday which was 21 days before I felt over 50% of my self since first dose today I feel like I just got over a cold or something but prolly 90% of myself, I'm not sure about that particular med so I would maybe double check with a dr just for safety's concern

• Posted

Hi  Am seeing psychiatrist tomorrow so will be putting this to her but he also had these symptoms with anti depressents.
  • Posted

Janet, these are well-known side-effects to pregabalin.

It was invented for epilepsy and now doctors use it for anxiety disorders.

But your husband's dose needs looking at - and soon. He's clearly on too much!

How old is he? (I'm a psychitric nurse by the way)

Older people need much lower doses than younger people.

It increases the appetite in most people, too, and cheers them up generally - but not with all these side-effects, of coursE.

He could be tried on another, similar drug, which has just been licensed for GAD. It's called gabapentin, but you absolutely need your doctor's advice asap about this.

It doesn't sound as though it's helped him much.........

Chrissie.

• Posted

chrissie Even at much lower doses pregabelin can cause myoclonus, myoclonic seizures plus weight gain , drowsniess and a host of ther nasty side effects. I think the neurologist who prescribed it needs to know urgently of these sde effects and then no doubt he or she will discontunue this drug and report it to the MHRA.
    • Posted

I know. That's what I just said to Jabet. I wasn't implying that a lower dose would be appropriate. I simply said that the dose Janet's husband is on either needs adjusting, or the pregabalin stopped altogether.

• Posted

Sleepy all day and can't sleep at night but how much sleep is he getting

• Posted

I think that you should advise the person who prescribed the pregabelin as a matter of urgency.

What is GAD?

Pregabelin can cause a movement disorder called cortical myoclonus. Personally I would not be surprised if the neurologist discontinued them and reported these serious side effects to the MHRA.

• Posted

Janet

pregabelin is known to cause side effects even at much lower doses.

It caused a movement disorder in me called cortical myoclonus. My neurologist discontinued it and reported this occurrence to the MHRA.

• Posted

It's PREGABALIN, delirious.

And it is very unwise to compare your case with someone else's.

• Posted

Yes I know. The other name is lyrica.

It is an anti epileptic drug and has lots of side effets which are clearly displayed on the PIL-Patient Information Leaflet.

However the rare occurence of corticl myoclonus is not displayed.

I am simply conveying my personal experience with this drug. Three weeks after commencing it on a low dose I started to have jerky movements.

My neurologist kept prescribing it . I started to sway and ended up losing my balance. My new neurologist told me that the lyrica/pregabalin was responsible and discontinued it. He reported this reacion/adverse reaction to the MHRA.

The posters husband is having problems with this drug after 11 days I note.

BTW I am a retired nurse with several nursing qualifications and a degree.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.