Pregabalin and Codeine

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi there. I was just wondering if it was ok to take Pregabalin and Codeine together. I have been taking Codeine for about three years now and won't be able to stop cold turkey. I am about to take Pregabaln for the first time tonight and usually take two codeine before bed as well. I'm worried I will like a complete zombie and not be able to function properly. Any help greatly appreciated. 

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am sorry Jane I can be of no help to you. If your doctor knows you take codeine he would have known if it was ok or not. I would phone him or ask your pharmacist . I hope it works for you.
    • Posted

Hi Minnimoo

I did eventually phone my pharmacist when it was open, and it is fine to take both. I really needed to keep taking the codeine as well because I am in so much pain. I'm not sure how long until I feel some benefit from the Pregabalin but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 

• Posted

Good luck Jane , I hope it kicks in for you soon.
  • Posted

Sorry this is probably a bit late to be of any use to you but just in case anyone else is looking for an answer I thought I'd reply. I think it varies depending on the person. I can tolerate both drugs on their own but when I take them together I get a serious adverse reaction. For me it causes flu-like symptoms such as blocked nose, thick throat, headache, severe muscle pain all over my body, fever even though I feel freezing and severe fatigue and lethargy. I also get a sore tongue and my muscles start to twitch until I cannot control my limb movements and this usually lasts 2-3 days. My GP is baffled as there are no 'known' interactions. I'm not sure he would have believed it if he hadn't seen it for himself. I suffer from fybromyalgia so I'm several medications but I know it's the pregablin and cocodamol 30mg/500mg that cause this reaction as the first time it happened these were the only meds I was on.

I have seen somewhere that there are known interactions between tramadol and Pregablin but nothing on these 2 meds. If anyone else has experienced problems with these meds could you let me know please? Hope everyone who reads this finds some degree of relief from they're on. Living with chronic pain is a constant battle.

• Posted

Dear Jane1959 I have same problem as you. I also have fybromyelgia and ongoing health problems. I also experience headache pain and flu like symptoms especially twitches. Only way I can explain it. I've been advised not to take Cocodamol

• Posted

Hi Poppy 

There is a great support group (closed) on Facebook for Lyrica - called Lyrica survivors group. My husband was on Lyrica for neurological pain and passed away suddenly last year - heart attack with no health conditions other than the adverse side effects of Lyrica. Might be worth joining to get others insights. Wishing you the very best wit your pain x

• Posted

Hi Jane1959, just wanted to share my experiences with codeine and lyrica, i have been on lyrica for about 6 months, 450mgs a day, about 3 weeks ago I tapered off them as they weren't working anymore and honestly i was sick of all the meds i was on, for me i have found an improvement since coming off them, i do still struggle with codeine addiction on and off for a long time now, it is very hard to kick that one and i feel so dissapointed with myself every time i go back to them,, i am determined to stay away from them! I am also on antidepressants which also dont seem to be working and they are the fourth ones ive tried in the last year!! I cant speak for evryones experiences but for my own i would say i regret the lyrica and the codeine the most but also the antidepressants i just feel like im not my true self when im on them.. i just want to be me again and am looking into alternative ways to get back to who i am.. thats just my experience and i hope whatever way you choose to go it all works out, good luck ?

• Posted

Well done Amy, kicking Lyrica into touch is so very difficult sometimes with long withdrawals and it is pleasing to know that you have been able to do this. Like you I am on a mix of Codeine (for chronic nerve pain) and Pregabalin. I have tapered down to 50mg x 2 a day on Pregab but won't attempt to stop Dihydracodeine until I am over the whole withdrawals which have been really bad for me. How do you think you will deal pain in your new lifestyle? I am not on anti-depressants thank goodness so am looking for viable alternatives to deal with the constant pain. I have heard of quite a few natural remedies reported to be helpful but they are expensive and I'm afraid I cannot afford to throw what little money I have away on things that may not work. I do hope we both find our way back to who we once were and can become again. Hope is the cornerstone of Life 

• Posted

Thanks for you reply, i got started on codeine after my first baby and tmi but i had a bad tear and thats where it started but after that it homestly was just that i found it helped with my anxiety, up to a point anyway!! So i have no personal information to deal with pain but a friend of mine has fibromyalgia and she does use cbd oil and smoke cannabis which she says helps alot, i know its not something everything is willing to try, personall i would be ok with cdb oil but do not approve of smoking cannabis! But each to their own and do whatever helps, sometimes we have to donthings frowned upon to help ourselves and really thats the main priority, i do hope you get the proper pain management in time and life takes a turn for all of us please god! Good luck with everything Elizabeth ?

• Posted

Hi Jane.

How are you getting on...

This thread caught my attention as you mentioned codeine and pregabalin together...

You also mentioned not being able to go cold turkey...

I was taking codiene for several years that became a habit..i was then given pregabalin and I read prior to this that it helps massively with addiction symptoms...i found that I could stop codiene use with pregabalin an had little to no ill feelings at all.

If you still take both together....

have you tried not taking codeine???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.