Pregabalin/bladder problems

Posted , 7 users are following.

Does anyone find that Pregabalin causes leaky bladder and constantly "needing"?

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

HI Chris,

Regarding Urinary Symptoms...YES !!

I've definitely experienced these since starting pregabalin, though for me, at the moment, the benefit of the medication far outweighs this annoying side-effect.

I take Pregabalin in addition to Amitriptylene for severe Occipital Neuralgia which I believe results from a massive blow to the back of my head received in an RTA 30 years ago. Fortunately the neuralgia has only appeared in relatively recent years.

The beneficial effects of the combined medication have been life-changing....so I am prepared to accept side-effects ( so long as they themselves don't become life-changing!)

I'm a 60ish year old female & my urinary symptoms are those of a marked difficulty starting to pee. I have to allow plenty of time & sometimes sit for minutes, 'willing' sphincters to relax...& its worse if I'm anxious or trying to hurry.

Sometimes there is a very poor flow, with stopping & starting.

Sometimes I feel my bladder has not completely emptied & if I sit for a while, yes...quite a significant amount of urine appears.

If I were a man I'd be blaming my prostate!

I'm in no doubt at all, that the symptoms are related to the pregabalin. They started when the initial dose was increased to 150mg bd & have worsened since the dose was increased to 200mg bd.

At the moment I can live with the inconvenient urinary symptoms ( but not with the neuralgia)

More of a problem are muscle & joint pains.

I feel I've aged about 10 years since my dose was increased. This is what has brought me to this forum to see if this is a commonly experienced problem.

Regards,

JANE

• Posted

Hi Jane, Thanks for long and detailed reply I too put up with Pregabalin as it helped with neuropathy pain, I foolishly thought it would help even more if I increased dose and foolishly asked for dose to be increased to 200mg (100 twice daily) (dr. was quite happy to do so!) thats when bladder probs. really started, though I didn't connect at first. - I've always had "weak" bladder. I cut dose down to 50 in morning, 100pm, and this week starting to try 50 mg twice daily, not consulting with dr. as I sill want to keep some pregabalin in reserve in case pain levels increase....sort of wanting to "have my cake and eat it" At 60sh your but a spring chick, I've turned 80 and I feel that drs. sort of dismiss oldies. At the moment I do feel that urinary probs. are ruling my life even more than the pain which didn't bother me till I started pre. (if that makes any sense) So I'm CAREFULLY weaning of the drug before it controls me completely. I blamed turning 80 for aging me a lot but perhaps more due to the pregabalin...who knows?

Good luck to you . Cheers

• Posted

Thanks Chris....let me know how you get on!

I've been trying, in vain, to get an appointment with the GP who has prescribed it. Think I'm also going to gradually reduce dose & wean off the Pregabalin.

All the best, Jane.

• Posted

Hi Jane, difficult to get appt. with any gp these days!!!!!let alone specific one. I was originally prescribed drug by consultant neurologist and against my better judgement decided after a bit I had nothing to lose by trying. Big mistake which I much regret with hindsite I too am going to wean off gradually. Tried cold turkey before but had so much horror stories told that I went back on. Another big mistake, I really DIDN'T seem to have any withdrawals I don't know how long I'll last on the "gentle" path....I'm more an all or nothing person and patience NOT my middle name. I'll be pleased to let you know how I go, you too let me know how you get on

Good luck, Chris

• Posted

Hi Jane,

good luck with the reducing of the dosage of Pregabalin. I was on a heavy dose 225mg AM and 150mg PM) for peripheral neuropathy and I was getting concerned about the side effects of this drug (I was getting 'depression' mood swings if I missed my medication). This was totally contrary to my personality and hence I am wanting to lessen my dependance on this drug, I have reduced the AM dosage to 150mg and have now been on that dosage for 2 months. Perhaps after another month I will consider reduction to 100mg AM.

Happy Dwindling:-)

• Posted

Hi NIM,

( forgive abbreviation)

I think I'm most concerned by the depression, which can be quite severe & very dramatic mood swings....despite taking my meds very regularly.

( My GP seemed to suggest 200mg bd was not a high dose & suggested adding an antidepressent on top of the pregabalin AND 50mg amitriptylene at night. I declined the offer & would prefer to reduce my meds not add to them.)

I've become really difficult to live with. The dramatic mood swings combined with musculoskeletal aches & pains, I'm not a happy bunny!

Hoping I can reduce the dosage without worsening neuralgia! We'll see!

Will report back in due course.

Cheers, Jane.

• Posted

H Jane,

you have all my sympathy, just to give you an idea of Pregabalin the recommended maximum dose per day is 600mg. I was on 375mg per day and am now down to 300mg (150 AM & PM) but it is not easy. Pregabalin works and does reduce the pain of my peripheral neuropathy so I am having to suffer a small increase in pain in my legs. However, I feel this is worthwhile if I can reduce the meds.

Keep up the fight and keep your pecker up, we all have people worse off than ourselves, although sometimes that is no consolation 😃

• Posted

Hi Chris, I have been taking Pregablin for a good few months now, and just started to taper off to reduce the horrible side affects.

One of the affects I had at the beginning was not being able to go for a wee easily, even when desperate, that settled after a few months, now the opposite, for the last 3 months, really leaky bladder, and a couple of accidents when not close enough to a loo.

These are both shown as side affects of Pregablin, I had been on 150 mgs at night and 50 mgs during the day as required, I have fibromyalgia, depression, arthritis, nerve pain, with 2 knee replacements.

I have reduced down to 100 mgs at night over a 4 week period, now suffering with insomnia every night. Hopefully this will ease in time. I am 62 and have 2 kids so I am sure age/children will have impacted my body somewhat, it can be so embarrassing.

• Posted

Hi Jayne, good luck with tapering! I too am doing this now down to 50mg night and morning and hoping soon to cut morning dose. Yes I don't sleep so well but find that 30mg codiene and 2 paracetamol help. - also a sleepy type anti-histamine if desperate! The embarrassment re. bladder and accidents is indescribable,I agree age doesn't help. I am 80 so you are but a spring chick. Oh well, keep hoping and use pads if it helps

Cheers and let me know how you are coping. Thanks

• Posted

Hi Chris,

Happy New Year, I am not much younger than you at 71, I have had many bladder problems following prostate cancer 12 years ago [thankfully a thing of the past:-)]. As I had no control of my bladder I had a 'sphincter' fitted. This is a brilliant device which I will try to describe if you are not aware of just what it is.

Around the tube going from your bladder to your penis they operate and put this tube through a cuff which is attached to the sphincter device. Now from the sphincter device another tube goes to inside your scrotum sac. The tubes ends with what feels like a 'jelly bean'. When you want to pee you squeeze the little bean a couple of times and this sends fluid up to the cuff which opens and pee flows from your bladder. The cuff then slowly resets itself (closes) and stops the pee flowing.

It might be worthwhile mentioning this to your GP, I'm sure that not everyone will suit but I always feel its best knowing about these things. Pads are a thing of the past!!!!

Good Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.