Pregabalin for restless legs and fibromyalgia

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a non-smoking, non-drinking, normal-ish weight, active, 60-year-old woman.

I have had CFS and fibromyalgia for over 20 years (I was a fitness instructor at that time, and that was at first blamed for both!). I developed the RLS following menopause.

I have been on a combo of amitriptyline and tramadol (low doses at night) for some years, but they have stopped working. Plus both make me constipated and amitriptyline makes me hungry!

I have recently been prescribed pregabalin 50mg in the evening, to go to 100mg after a week. I am worried about the following side-effects:

Increased hunger and weight gain - one of the reasons I came off amitriptyline

Constipation - fed up of this with the amitriptyline and tramadol

Headaches - have these every day already

Fluid retention - hate feeling bloated

Having to take it at the same time every day - my routine will not permit this and the window I can take it in varies from 6pm to 10m, depending on what I am doing in the evening

Being difficult to come off of

Does anyone who has been prescribed the same dose as me for the same condition as me have any experience or advice please?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

i was prescribed low dose pregablin to begin with! i started due to withdrawel of morphine as i had to reduce. i have Stanosis of the spine which I also take pregab for

When you begin taking this medication yes you will suffer some odd side effects

Hunger

weight gain

Drunk feeling

BUT........... after a few weeks your weight will return to normal but i did put a few pounds on

i cant praise this medication enough. i now take 300mg twice a day. its given me my life back but this medication is a drug that can give u some unpleasant side effects if you stop suddenly on it such as vomiting, sweats, depression. I have no plan to stop it.

just be patient with the side effects to begin with ok they will pass

ive been taking oregab for eight years now and would recommend it to anyone

hope you start to feel normal soon and like i said itt will get better

Adele

• Posted

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. I am prescribed 50mg per day, to go to 100mg, if required, after one week.

Why did you gain the weight? Did it increase your appetite?

• Posted

pregab will make u hingry so u have to watch hour eating. ive put on about a stone but slowly losing it now

x

• Posted

your very welcome, sorry for spelling mistakes

wasnt wearing my glasses lol

i cringed reading my reply just now

if you need anymore advice then ask away, good luck for the future

adele

• Posted

I am prescribes pregabalin 100g 3 times a day and although my symptoms have improved they still persist in the evenings and at night. i am thinking of asking my doctor to increase this medication

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.