Pregabalin for severe anxiety. Yes or no

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have severe debilitating anxiety which has not responded to SSRIs or other similar drugs. I have the option of going on to Pregabalin, but having done some research I find some people singing it's praises and others saying that it has huge potential for addiction and dependency as well as horrendous withdrawl effects. I'm pretty desperate, but don't want to compound my problems with another one. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Well I have been prescribed Pregabalin for Anxiety and for my Fibromyalgia. I have been on this medication for about 9-12months. I have found the following

1. Yes it does help with my pains!

2 Less anxiety

3.The side effects for me. It takes me a little time to get myself together in the morning,also it seems to have slowed me down,and also makes me drowsy?sleepy during the day and evening. I have to record my TV programmes as I nod off more often than before taking them. also if I have a good day and feel like doing bit more than usual the next day I just want to sleep 

4.I have Fibromyalgia and these side effects could be the cause.

I am on a very low dose of Pregabalin 25mg per night. I can say that they help with the moods and I feel brighter and it does damp down the anxiety.

Because of the Sleepy  situation I asked if I could come off this medication and was told that I should take one dose every other night. I am not enjoying this reduction because  on mornings when I have not taken the medication the night before,I am miserable and Grumpy and the aches are there.

I have to see my Rheumi at the end of November and  have to continue with the weaning off of them until then, I think if I did not have the drowsy bouts I  would consider to stay on the Pregabalin,but I really dont know if there is anything else available without these side effects, as they are very embarrassing when you are sitting in a room full of people and all you do is sleep!

I would welcome any advice from others who have or who are weaning of such a small dose

• Posted

I too have suffered many years of anxiety and this is the first pill that has is working.  And yes, there is an addiction potential, but at the same time every other pill out there for anxiety is addictive...but if you don't feel it is working you can wean down slow and have waay less withdrawal. This is the first pill out of so many over the years that is finally get thru my days without that terrible feeling as you well know of anxiety..so yes if I were you try low does first (75mg) and you will notice a change right away..only side effect is dry mouth...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.