Pregabalin question

Posted , 3 users are following.

Have just started this drug for sciatic nerve pain (constant) and back problems, all of which started after a hip replacement.  Have been taking it now for 4 days (50mg twice a day). So far no side effects but no relief from pain either.  I have been told by doctor that it takes 7 to 10 days to kick in.

My question is a naughty one.  I do enjoy a glass of wine.  Is it a very very bad idea to have one whilst on this drug?!!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Soxy,

Medically its not particularly life-threatening to have moderate alcohol intake providing your blood pressure and other health conditions are normal but that said it probably is not advisable until you are stable on this medication

pregabalin is a notoriously bad for side effects as you will see through the various discussion group here you will not necessarily suffer from all or any of them but it's better to be on the safe side because alcohol can make these side effects

significantly worse, especially dizziness confusion depersonalisation and depression and believe me you don't want to go there the oven that you're taking it for sciatica which is a presumably short term condition I would wait until you finish the course

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Steve. I have only been on the drug for less than a week and so far no side effects.  I'm not intending to drink tons of alcohol, just the odd glass now and again.  Unfortunately, my sciatica/back problems are chronic and it's not a short term condition. The thought of going without a glass of wine for the rest of my life, did make me feel depressed!  Hoping that the combination off these tablets and visiting an osteopath will help matters.

• Posted

Best go easy then and see how it affects you. Some people get away without problems. Depending on your Pregab dose.
  • Posted

Be very careful with alcohol and lyrica. The combination of alcohol and lyrica can play off each other making the effects of each more pronounced. Some people can do it, for others its a disaster. My doc said it was fine when I started on lyrica a decade ago but I suspect the combination helped lead to me becoming addicted to lyrica. I have no proof and there is little in the medical reports supporting my suspicion so take it with a grain of salt. All I do know is agreeing to take this drug was one of the worst decisions I ever made. It's just not worth it.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.