PREGABALIN SIDE EFFECTS

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with 'peripheral neuropathy'. I am taking pregabalin capsules morning and evening, (225mg AM and 150mg PM). They on balance give me some relief. I am aware that taking 375mg per day is a high dosage, however, the maximum dosage is 600mg per day. I am also aware that taking a greater dose might help further with the pains I suffer, this has been offered by my doctor. However, the concern about the side effect has prevented me increasing the dosage.

I have become very aware of a side effect of this medication, one which I have not yet discussed with my doctor. I have a few other conditions which have been of greater and more immediate concern.

If I miss one more one dosage of my medication I have a tendency to become slightly depressed or in the doldrums (sorry for the un-medical language). This would be more progressive if I missed more dosages. I would be interested in communications with anyone who has been aware of a similar side effect and any advice or comments they may wish to make.

Regards

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I currently take 300mg three times a day so I take 900mg a day if I forget my afternoon tablet I feel queasy ,a bit low and tired. x

• Posted

You are right to consider this as it is known that pregabalin can exacerbate depression. This is only what has been reported and it may not affect you in the same way. However, I took it for 7 days and after it gave me the worst flu symptoms I stopped cold turkey and I had the 5 worst days of depression I have ever known.

During this time I did my own research and found that the initial data from Pfizer was falsified - just google for Dr Reuben and you will read all about it. A further study was undertaken by a team out in New Zealand that showed the risk of suicide and increased depression is three times more likely in users of Pregabalin that those who do not suffer depression - this was out of just over 1000 patients.

Again, I am obliged to say this is what I have found and you are free to read what you will into this. I just would not want anyone to suffer the same way I did.

Matt

• Posted

Yes, this medication does have dependency problems quite quickly. Try not to up the dosage, as your current schedule is high enough. You may at some point in time wish to taper off them and the higher the dose the longer it takes. You are just being sensible, believe me.

• Posted

Thank you for your kind replies. I am aware that the dosage is high, however, I have refrained from going with a higher dose, ever though the symptoms would suggest that I should up it. I am aware of this side effect.

I have also reduced accompanying pain killers I was taking for a T11 back injury (200mh Tramadol and 2000mg Cocodamol 15/500). I am in pain as a reduction in this medication but I just thole it and get on with life. I am 71 so I try to take up a grown up attitude 😃.

Does anyone know of any research or alternative medication. I cannot take cymbalta.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.