Pregabalin withdrawal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had shingles since July 20. I have been taking 50 mg of pregabalin three times a day for six weeks and was thinking I would wean off them. I wonder if anyone else has taken them and for how long and any problem stopping them. 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Not knowing your Shingles history (PHN involved) or circumstances and reading about pregabalin, should your Doctor be involved consulted first? Rash gone? Pain gone or abating?. I am now 3 months in, pain, soreness, and stabbing pains is not as severe but still there. Still have the redness from my blisters.
    • Posted

Hi. First of all my doctor who started me on the lowest dose of pregabalin gave me a three month supply as we were moving to another province so I don’t have a doctor yet. Any real concerns I can go to a walk in clinic.  I am over three months and Had a very severe case of shingles spreading one side of my back, groin and thigh . Rash is faded but still there. Any pain that i do have now is some burning And usually an xStrength Tylenol and solercaine spray with lidocaine helps. I’m feeling much better and not sure if it is because of the pregabalin or if I am healing from shingles. I just thought I would gradually wean off and then I would know if it is the right thing to do. Thank you 
  • Posted

Sheila,

While I never took pregabalin, you should consult your Physician. If you are still having pain, I would stay on it unless you are having serious adverse reactions.

Usually, when you taper a neuroactive medication, you would decrease the afternoon dose for one to two weeks and see how you feel. If your pain increases, you know it isn't time to decrease the pregabalin. If you feel fine after one to two weeks, then you decrease the morning dose for another one to two weeks. The key is to listen to your body. Be also aware for mood changes, highs and lows, depression, anxiety, irritability... If you are having problems, you need to contact your Physician STAT. The last dose to decrease is the night dose. Take it every other night for a week and see how you feel. Pregabalin is one Medication that definitely needs to be tapered slowly.

I hope this helps re the timeframe.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you for this info Mary.  We just moved to another province so I don’t have a doctor here. If needed I can go to a walk in clinic. I was given a three month supply and if need more I would then see a doctor.  I have some days with no pain at all and some days with still a bit of burning which a xStrength Tylenol will fix. So I thought I would like to stop the pregabalin and see if I can do without it.  I wasn’t sure on how to wean off it so I will start with the afternoon and see how I do with it.   So again I thank you for your knowledgeable advise !
  • Posted

I've read Merry's reply and as usual,she's quite correct.I've been on pregabalin since july.Prior to that it was Gabapentin.(from april when the shingles broke out.).I've been reducing the dose since July from 150 three times a day to 50 mg twice a day.Like Merry said,I cut out the afternoon one and waited to see if the pain rose.I was in hospital for another ailment when I began to reduce.They said go ahead.I still have burning and intense itching and prickling under and on my breast ,so I'm continuing with the 50 mg twice a day for now.You have to reduce very slowly.And,of course,it depends on your tolerance of pain and discomfort.I'm also sucking on /chewing an L-Lysine tablet once a day (no way could I swallow it ).

X Beth

• Posted

Thank you Beth. Do you find the L. Lysine helps with pain or is that to help with healing ? I take 50 pregabalin 3 times a day and will cut out the afternoon dose as Merry suggested as she is always right on with the right things to do. I appreciate this forum as it is so helpful to hear from others who are suffering or have had shingles and the lingering after pain.
    • Posted

The L-Lysine definitely helps with the pain,so I'm assuming it's helping with the healing.(I had no rash or blisters,just a red raised area that was vaguely lumpy).I  reduced the amount of pregabalin very slowly ,over a month -six weeks and was yo-yoing for a while.Taking it when I needed to,as it works for me within 20 minutes.Some days were better than others,as I have a lot of stress in my life at the moment,coming at me from 3 different places,any one of which would be enough to make a difference.Yeah,Merry's suggestions are always right -on. :-)

X Beth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.