Pregabalin withdrawal

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been taking Pregabalin 600mg for about 2 months now with no side affects at all. The pain I had (sciatica) was pretty chronic but Pregabalin has been a miracle for me.   But because of a set back about a month ago I have a back operation scheduled in about a week (mo problems with the op. I've had it befor).  But now I'm wondering if I need it as I'm feeling very good.   So my plan is to withdraw 75mg a day down to 75mg or 150mg per day in a week.  Anybody had any experience of withdrawing quickly when they were not previously having any side affects?   I obviously hoping to get away with it without the problems I've read on this board.  Thanks for any advice.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Richard

?Yes, Pregabalin appeared to be the same miracle for me until 6 months in I realised it had changed my brain chemistry and I suffered memory loss, brain fog, loss of language, loss of balance and the list goes on. You may be one of the few who do not have side effects but you only have 2 months under your belt..... In honesty and in my opinion you take a great risk in tapering down so very quickly because the withdrawals can be very severe and then how would you deal with further surgery? Pregabalin is a very hard hitting drug and it does deal well with sciatic pain - basically it fools your pain receptors into believing there is no pain, that is why you feel so good on it. You are on the maximum dose allowed - why don't you continue as you are until after the surgery and then decide if you want to stay on it (assuming no side effects appear) or if you start to feel you do wish to taper down please do it very slowly. Certainly do not go cold turkey as this can cause Seizures. There is an excellent support group for people on Lyrica (Pregab) and they offer a huge amount of information about this drug and help people who wish to come off it. It is on Fb called Lyrica Survivors Official (Closed) group. I am tapering off myself and am now down to 50mg x 2 daily, but it has been hard on the withdrawals and is difficult to do without support. 

?I wish you well with your surgery (please do go ahead with it as Pregab is only 'hiding' the problem) and I wish you well in the future.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth.  Thanks for your excellent and informative response.  My dilemma is that I'm so good right now, I expect my consultant will tell me to stay on the tablets and wind them down slowly than do the op.  I don't want to stay on the tablets but I don't want the op either if I don't need it.   Pregabalin was supposed to stop the pain whilst I self recovered.    That's why I'm thinking I need to wind down quickly before the pre op consultancy and see.   I'm so good right now that an operation just seems wrong.   Last time I had the op I was in agony before hand (no pregabalin)

• Posted

Hi again

?I do understand your dilemma Richard and the best advice I can give is that you ask for the Op to be deferred whilst you slowly taper Pregabalin dosage down. It may be that at some point as you go lower the pain may return in which case you would still need the surgery. As I said previously Pregab only masks the pain but does not treat the cause of your pain. I am sure your Consultant would agree to you doing things this way as then you will both be sure of what is really going on. I suggested earlier that you remain on Pregab, have the surgery and then taper down, but because you have explained further I now think you should taper down slowly and see what happens before you submit to further invasive operation/s. Either way, and it obviously is your own choice at the end of the day, it is best not to take this drug long term as I know personally the damage it can do to your brain chemistry and central nervous system. If you don't mind me asking, what is the actual condition causing your pain? Do you have a disc problem causing pressure on the sciatic nerve or something else. I have Degenerative Spine Disease and had a severely trapped sciatic nerve in my left buttock that was so inflamed the pain never stopped - each movement I yelped like a Puppy - I couldn't sit, stand or sleep for 7 months. That is why I went on Pregabalin and thought as you did it was an absolute miracle. Having dropped down to 100mg daily, that pain is starting to niggle again and although I know a great deal about Pregab and want off it as soon as I possibly can I have no idea how I will deal with that dreadful pain again. It takes a strong mind and determination to come off this drug and thankfully I have the Group I mentioned to support me.

If you taper and suffer withdrawals please do post again as that is something else I now know a lot about and will help you as much as I can. Keep me updated and I hope you feel you can make a clear decision before perhaps or after seeing your consultant. 

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth.  Thanks for your advice again. The discs in my lumber spine are badly degenerated, not helped by two prolapsed discs L3/L4 & L4/L5.  Basically the prolapses are affecting the sciatic nerve.  I have had 2 discectomy operations on L4/L5 (which I would recommend to anybody) to alleviate severe sciatica in my left leg which basically stopped me standing or sitting (especially sitting) for very long.  The L3/4 prolapse is new and is causing a similar problem.  Prior to the discectomies I was taking Ibuprofen & Paracetamol only and was in agony.  Pregabalin has been amazing for pain relief on the L3/L4 problem but I did not realise all the implications.

I hear what you say about reducing the dose slowly. My trouble is that if I need to have the op, I need to have it sooner rather than later (to do with work...).  As I've had no side affects up to now, I've started reducing the dose by 75mg a day to see what happens.  Basically because I don't want to miss my slot (sadly). FYI, the pain consultant who recommended the 600mg dose has told me that I should be able to reduce the 600mg dose to 75mg over a week.  I am sceptical given your advice and others but I have nothing to lose by trying to reduce the dose daily and see wwhat happens. 

Thanks again for your advice, much appreciated.

• Posted

Ahh, so work is also involved in your dilemma Richard. Ho Hum! This is a hard one and now you have explained your spinal problems I see exactly where your thoughts have led you. Thank you for answering that question. It would appear that you may have ongoing problems with your spine which need addressing, Pregabalin or not!

?I hate to rain on your parade, but your Consultant's advice about tapering from 600mg to 75mg in a week is quite dangerous in my opinion. The medical profession seem quite blind to the side effects and terrible withdrawals that patients suffer, often saying it is all in their heads.....please be careful and listen to your own body because that is going to be the only 'Truth' for you at the end of the day. I very much hope that you do not experience withdrawals but if you do please take charge yourself and insist it needs to be a slower tapering. 

?You are your own advocate in this situation and it is up to you to monitor all that happens, perhaps keep a daily note of how you are feeling and if you start to experience, say, insomnia, dizzy spells, nausea, fatigue and possibly depression, you will know that you need to re-assess your plan of action.

Be safe and I hope to hear good news from you as you progress.

• Posted

I would recommed never do a withdrawal plan without talking to the doctor that prescribed it to you likely your own family doctor. It is different for everyone and may need to be done very slowy.
    • Posted

Thank you 06honda.  The prescribing doctor has said a week is ok.  I have already dropped from 600mg to 375mg without any affect (except for renewed but varying levels of sciatica depending upon what I'm doing).  I think I am unusually lucky.

• Posted

Hello.  Just thought I'd give an update on my situation.

I had been on Pregabalin (600mg) and Celebrex (400mg) for severe Syatica from a herniated disc for about 2 months.  The tablets helped me big time & I suffered no side affects.

As I closed in to the potential of a discectomy operation I decided to drastically reduce the dose over a week.

Well I dropped the tablets 75mg a day and noticed no negative affect at all.  In fact, my pain didn't increase either indicating that time had largely healed my problem.  A few weeks later and I have had no withdrawal symptoms even though I withdrew over a week.

I wanted to report this because this forum is quite a scary read but clearly not everyone has problems.  Maybe it had to do with the short time I was using them.

Thank you so much for all the advice, I have really appreciated it and I wish everyone on medication or in pain all best wishes for success like I have seen.

Richard

• Posted

This is very good news indeed Richard and also that your sciatic pain seems to have cleared up. Pregabalin is an excellent pain reliever for people with nerve pain particularly. I just wish that it didn't bring attendant side effects/withdrawals for so many other patients. 

Did you turn the surgery down on the basis that your pain had gone? Well, whatever I wish you a long happy pain-free life Richard - Onward and Upward!

• Posted

hi all, I am assuming when people come off pregabalin, alot of them are on different medications as well so the weaning off could be a very different experience for all for sure
    • Posted

i am sure you are right. im on quite a few other meds aswell for a depressive codition and high blood pressure so i am quite scared about coming off. i came down from 150 mg to 75mg last week and so far feel fine but am quite worried. i plan to go down to 50mg in a week or so. i have been on 150 for 17 months so im hoping it wont be too bad. i waa so terribly anxious when i went on it and i would hate it to return.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.