Pregablin ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi folks,

I am new to this forum and I have a question about an alternative medication to Gabapentin that some of you may have experienced. I have recently been trying Pregablin 2 x 75mg and I have to say for the first time in many years have actually had a few good nights sleep. However as in all things in life it has come at a cost and I have had terrible headache in the day. Reluctantly I am having to try something else which is Gabapentin I have already tried Amitriptilene (spelling may be wrong) which left me waking up like I had been  sleeping in a desert very dry mouth plus cramps in the night. I am just wondering whether I have given the Pregablin long enough ? (About a week and a half) Anybody else tried Pregablin?

Kindest regards

Tony

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tony, I had pregabin while in hospital but then went back onto gabapentin which I had been previously prescribed. Which ever you take it does take time for your system to adapt to it and 1 1/2 weeks is nowhere near long enough for you to gain any benefit, Like all drugs there are side effects but which is worse severe pain or a dry mouth, your headache can be helped by 2 paracetamol every 4 hours or so - max 8 in 24 hours. They work wonders for me and will not clash with either gabapentin or pregabin, ask your doctor if you're still having problems.
  • Posted

Hi Tony

Tried gabapentin pregabalin and amatriptaline but had severe side effects with

First two and third had no affect at all. Now on morphine tabs plus oramorph and 8 paracetemol daily plus diazepam.in vArious strengths. Nothing really takes pain

Away.I also use lidocaine patches which helps a bit. I think we are all different

When it comes to medication and it is trial and error. As yet I have not come across

Anything which helps 100 per cent. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Arran 103

• Posted

Hello Tony,

A bad headache is a horrible thing. Once whilst extolling the virtues of a Gabapentin to a fellow pain sufferer she replied she couldn't tolerate Gabapentin but is being tried on Pregabin.  I suspect they must have something in common if the name is anything to go by  All drugs have some side efforts, some we don't know about until years later.  But severe constant pain robs us of a life.  Gabapentin certainly works but as my doctor says it builds up and maintains the same relief providing the tablets are taken regularly.  Modern medicine with all it's miracles is far from perfect especially in the pain department.  Amitriptilene (think there is a 'y' in there somewhere) is a good drug at night time.  Do you think the cramps could be down to something else? a good night's sleep is a must when we have bad pain.  I have taken Gabapentin for many years and no side effects, well one really but won't go into that.  But it gives me a life, not the life I would like being by temperament an active person, but a life, which I am very grateful for.  Good Luck Tony it can be a hard road but you are not on your own.

Warmest wishes,

• Posted

what dose of Amitriptyline were you on? I've been taking Amitriptyline for 25 years; you adapt to the dry mouth. The dry mouth is a bit dose dependant (I am currently on 50mg, but was taking 200mg)
  • Posted

Thanks everybody for your replies I find it very helpful to have the views of fellow sufferers on the various drugs regimes available; I have a good GP but he is a very young chap I have found the literature from the pain clinic seems to be the best guide. I have now finished with Pregablin as the headaches were too severe to put up with I have now started on Gabapentin 2 x 300mg no bad side effects up to now. I do take Naproxen 2 x 500mg also; these were an alternative to Voltrol which seems to be receiving bad press at the moment. The Amitriptylene tablets I tried were 25mg; dry mouth I could put up with but not the cramps which disapeared once I stopped them. The two boxes of Gabapentin I have from different manufacturers had no user notes inside the boxes (yes both boxes unbelievable !) and my GP had not given any specific instructions I have of course looked it up on the net and will see how it goes.

Kindest regards to all

Tony

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.