Pregablin and citralopram positive vibes only

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone, Ive had a bit of a nightmare 6 mths. Restarting citralopram for the 3rd time. I had lots of dose changes and am now 10 weeks on 20mg. I am definitely more settled on this dose. Still having waves of anxiety, followed by depression as I am just so desperate to get back to work, be well for my family...... My psychiatrist has started me on a very low dose of pregabalin. Can anyone share positive experiences? length of time for it to work? dosage etc? I am taking 25mg 3 times a day and so far I seem okay. I will be increasing by 25mg in a few days. Should I leave a week to settle after each dose increase?? please positive comments only as I am so sensitive to negative stories xx

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Lou...

I know you ask only for positive experiences, but you need to be aware of a couple of things.

Pregabalin is supplied off-label for anxiety. It was never meant to be an anxiety med. It works for some, not for others (me included). What I need to tell you is that if it does work for you, when you come to withdrawal, you need to be VERY careful. As you are prone to depression, the likely withdrawal effects you will get will make that depression far far worse.

So please, if you take nothing else from this message, when it comes to withdrawal from Pregabalin, go VERY slow. I just cannot stand to think someone else going through what I went through...

Regarding your other questions, it works pretty quickly. Blood levels are maxed out and neuro chemistry is altered within 5 days, so you will know then whether it is working or not by then. A week to wait before increase sounds about right - maybe 10 days...

Matt

• Posted

Thanks Matt. I am petrified of medication, like really scared, so I want to be on the very minimum possible dose. I am taking so long to settle on citralopram...this is my 3rd time and I made the stupid mistake of stopping suddenly, so I am well versed in horror withdrawal symptoms! I am getting to breaking point financially as Ive been off ill for months, so i just want to get back to work and if I do withdraw It will be by tiny tiny amounts .....using a pill cutter...

• Posted

Hi Matt,

My psych has suggested adding pregablin to my SSRI. I have depression with anxiety and I am worried that pregablin may help with the anxiety but make the depression worse. Not during withdrawal but during normal dosing. What are you experiences? Thanks, Ed

• Posted

hi ed, so far my experience has been positive. I am not keen on any drugs but I am month 7 now and still anxious. I am on a very low dose, 50mg morning, 25mg lunch and 25mg evening. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Lou, thanks for the reply. You are still feeling anxious after 7 months? I thought that pregabalin worked pretty quickly, say in a week or two? Have you also had depression with your anxiety?

Thanks, Ed

• Posted

sorry ed, I have only recently started the pregabalin and it has been really good for anxiety. I have been back on citralopram varying doses since july...so that was the 7 month reference. I started on 25mg pregabalin and that was great....about 80% reduction in anxiety. Ive built up to 50mg in morning, 25mg at lunch and 25mg evening. This is still a really small dose but so far so good. My phychiatrist says it will give my body and mind a chance to rewire without the anxiety flashing up! I am dying to get back to work and normal life x How are you doing?

• Posted

Im building up super slow as im very sensitive to meds. The doc said once I find my dose that should be me. I dont want to be a pill popper

• Posted

Ed...

I didn't have enough time to work that out! After two days on 50mg + 50mg each day, I was in bed and out for the count. When it came to the third day of that, this was when I quit cold turkey. There are start-up effects and then there was that! I just couldn't tolerate it - and I have been through plenty of withdrawals to know!

So I am not sure whether it would have affected my depression as a byproduct. I would start low and stay low for a good couple of weeks so that if it doesn't work, you don't have too far to climb back down when you quit.

Pregabalin isn't like an SSRI that can take 3 months to work, you should have a fair idea within 7-10 days as to whether it will work for you.

All the best

Matt

• Posted

The problem is you may have encountered the "kindling" effect. There is not much evidence backing it up, but there are also lots of people saying they have the effects. Each time you go back o the same SSRI, there is less chance of it being effective.

That said, I am third time round on Citalopram and have almost come out the other side. But I have also found the miracle that is my therapist who has helped me a lot...

Matt

• Posted

Hi Ed, how long are you back on the citralopram? I do think its working, but just a lot slower this time. Have you stuck with one dose? I was very silly regarding doses and thought I could hurry recovery...... I also have a super therapist and am working hard on meditation, my diet, exercise, praying....anything to recover and get back to work and look after my wee family

• Posted

no idea why I called you Ed! sorry, Matt

• Posted

Happy New Year, I'm on 300 mg per day and it works for me, so you have some way to go. I have peripheral neuropathy which is a nerve problem with my legs. It is a very highly recommended treatment.

Good Luck with the treatment and remember you own your own body 😃 and you are always in control!

• Posted

Thank you so much. I just pray it works for me at a low dose. I am super sensitive to meds so fingers crossed x

• Posted

NIMI,

can i ask you about your positive experience with plegablin? i have Small fiber neuropathyissues and the dr wanted to put me on that. How long have you been on it. how long did you take to up your doses?

what type of difference does it make on you pain? any side effects and how long did they last?

• Posted

Hi,

pregabalin worked well, it releaved a lot of pain from my feet, this is where I suffered the most. I believe I was placed on too high a dose (225mg AM and 150mg PM) and if I missed my medication I became, not depressed but I was feeling gloomy. Hope you can understand my non-medial lingo. I have been able to reduce the dosage without any side effects (150mg AM & 150mg PM). Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.