Pregnancy after UFE

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone gotten pregnant and delivered a healthy infant AFTER UFE Uterine Fibroid Embolization? I had a 12cm fibroid, had UFE surgery 8 months ago and the ultrasound from last week showed it shrunk to 5cm, so my husband and I would like to try to get pregnant - although it is recommended to wait a year, and we understand all risks involved with the fact there is less blood flow to uterus overall. But considering myomectamy also causes so many side effects and repercussions in pregnancy and delivery, it truly seemed like for my fibroid size and location (in BACK of uterine wall) the UFE was a much better choice.

It seems like fibroids are a mystery to doctors in general and I would like some insight on what you think. I already went to fertility doctor who was not much help - they just based this on my period, which is regular, but they literally have no idea how UFE works. It would be nice to hear from someone who had a pregnancy after UFE.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi just wanted to let you know about the group on a Facebook page that can really help you with a lot of information regarding your issue. They are call Uterine fibroids removal support group. just type the link on top, then follow the instructions. Am taking my out by his grace and mercy next month can wait because I have been through hell and back. take care Xx

• Posted

i too is having this procedure done in the next month and i would like to have more children in future and because i wanted a less invasive procedure i chose to have the UFE done too i believe in just being positive that i will have more healthy children after a while

• Posted

yes please let me know what you find out! its difficult to find trustworthy accounts because i want to hear from women who had UFE and not websites

• Posted

i had the UFE in 2016. and am doing good. no heavy bleeding anymore. but i have often wondered if anyone has gotten pregnant and had a healthy baby after embolization. pls can someone let us know the experience?

• Posted

Hello I don't know about post fibroid treatment but I was 34 obese and diabetic and gave birth to health 6 &7lb twins.I had a fibroid that caused me to bleed 45 days nonstop in 2013 so I got the mirena for about 6 months and had it removed to try to have kids...nothing happened. The short time with the mirena helped regulate my cycle but i was still clearing through 2 bags of pads per month..long story short. I gave up on the idea but I started to heal my body starting with a cleanse and once the cleanse was complete I lost 15lbs and found out 4 months later in 2016 that I was 4 months preggers with TWINS!I had gave up on having kids and forgot all about the fibroids. So if my fat ass(excuse my language) could do it successfully I dont see why you guys cant get your family. Godd luck I hope it all works out. God Speed!

• Posted

THANKS for your reply and very positive feedback; very happy this is your case but it sounds like you mentioned "had fibroid removed" which is a myomectamy and not what this thread is about. The purpose of this question was to find out specifically about the chances of healthy infant after UFE which is uterine fibroid embolisation. IT SEEMS the uterus has less blood flow after UFE which would make the pregnancy very high risk of complications, placenta not feeding baby right, no blood for baby, maybe brain and birth defects - its a serious ordeal and I HOPE someone who has gone through it can answer.

5THANKS AGAIN THIUGH AND SORRY IF I MISUNDERSTOOD

• Posted

I haven't had any pregnancies yet but I recently had a bunch of fertility tests done and the doctor said that despite my UFE 3 years ago and open myomectomy 7 years ago, the inside of my uterus looks very healthy and fertile. In fact, the blood supply to my uterus is so healthy that it totally explains my 11 new large fibroids since UFE!!! The reason I went to a fertility clinic was because I'm so extremely miserable (my uterus is now 27cmx20cmx10cm) that I was considering a hysterectomy if my chances of conceiving were already low but based on these results I'm now considering another UFE. Universe sure does have a sense of humour.

All the best to you and hope you find this helpful.

• Posted

Thanks so much for this insight! So you mentioned you would do hysterectomy IF chances of conceiving were low, but because they told you you are super fertile even after the UFE, would you now try to get pregnant? If you don't mind me asking, how old are you and did you want a baby (regardless of your fibroid situation)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.