Pregnancy and depression....

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I'm 29 weeks pregnant and a long sufferer with depression, I can't help think it's more and I'm not diagnosed properly. What should I do, I have the common symptoms for bi-polar disorder and I 'tick all the boxes' I just seem to be ignored but the professionals, even my mental illness nurse wants to put me on meds again after I went cold turkey to fall pregnant...which by the way is all I've ever wanted! 

What do I do? Who do I turn to??

Thankyou in advance

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

depression and bipolar are similar in the symptoms of the depressive state.  Although bipolar is a further extension of the depression illness when someone gets worse.

Maybe your GP could offer some guidance.

or your midwife/health visitor

Richard

• Posted

Hi Richard, thanks for your reply! 

Unfortunately my gp 'palmed' me off to the mental health team without any further investigation! 

I see my midwife again in a week or so but I don't think she's too comfortable with talking about it! 

They said if I go back to self harming again then I'll have my baby taken off me, which other than it being a threat it's quite hard hitting! 

If never do anything to hurt my unborn baby but there's just not enough support out there!

sad 

Aimee

• Posted

you will need to   take responsibility bringing a baby into this wworlld..  It will not be your problems but the baby's that need taking care of.

So I hope it can be sorted out asap after the birth.

Richard

• Posted

Hi Aimee, you shouldn't feel fobbed off, they have a huge duty of care to you and your unborn baby so my advise is to contact your GP practice manager and tell him/her your concerns including a "perceived" lack of support.

Either phone or email but keep a note of your call date time and brief notes.

if you still don't get anywhere contact your NHS Trust by following the complaints procedure.

You are taking control and looking after your unborn baby and will be doing what you can not to stop harm so the service should be there and in place to support you, this is your GP and midwifes responsibility towards you.

Dont be fobbed off and don't e afraid of putting your foot down as they must take it seriously as their jobs are at risk never mind them threatening you if youbself harm, that's a terrible thing to say and out of order.

Go Girl! N 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.