Pregnancy and Fibromyalgia

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey, I was wondering if anyone else with Fibromyalgia found that it pretty much disapeared during pregnancy? I'm still very early on (10 weeks) but have been off my meds for 6 weeks now (on doctors advice to try not to take anything if I can help it) and I feel amazing. I'm hoping it lasts throughout the whole pregnancy and beyond to be honest. Before I got pregnant, somedays I could barely walk, my hands, hamstrings, elbows and shoulders were so stiff and sore. And my feet used to be agony after my 9 hour shifts at work (I'm a chef so stand pretty much all day). Now I can do my 9 hour shifts AND even walk round ASDA food shopping for an hour after work without feeling pained or tired. So my real question is, will all this come back after I've had the baby? I'm hoping I was wrongly diagnosed tbh and I was only diagnosed roughly 3 months prior to getting pregnant. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hope you're right.  I didn't get better throughout my pregnancies and even developed some new ones which have stayed with me ever since.  Enjoy your symtom release time but try not to over do it.  Boom and bust - you could be in a boom and bust worse cos you have been over doing it now.  Gently does it.  Enjoyx 
  • Posted

That is so very interesting. We know in part (or in whole) fibro has to do with parts of the brain & obviously some brain chemicals. 

I have dopamine issues & go bat poo crazy a month or two after I quit smoking, guessing due to the long term drop in dopamine. Tobacco keeps me sane. BUT when I was pregnant, I was totally fine. Totally. No cravings or crazy.

I wonder what biochemical changes happen during pregnancy that can make such differences like these?

• Posted

Hi, during my pregnancy, I had severe sickness and other complications,  not related to fm, which meant I needed to rest a lot which helped my symptoms.  I did find that some symptoms improved, but others increased, especially my hip pain as the pregnancy developed. The best thing for me, was that I didn't have a major flare after, the baby was born, which I was really worried about. Also for some unknown reason,, maybe it's a mother thing, but she is the only one who can hug me without causing me lots of pain.

I hope your increased health continues,  but just be careful and listen to your body, both now and when the baby arrives. Enjoy x

• Posted

Just a little update, I'm now 6 months pregnant and am still symptom free! I have developed SPD in my pelvis though, but I could have got that regardless anyway. I have now finished work so hoping resting might make it go away. I did a little research and apparently when pregnant your body produces a hormone called 'relaxin', which supposedly causes ligaments and muscles to relax. I'm thinking maybe this is what has made my Fibromyalgia go away? As all my ligaments were very tight before hand. I'm hoping after Baby is born I can get this hormone in synthetic form?? (If that even exists)?? Just an idea :-)
    • Posted

yes your right would be great to be able to get it in synthetic form 

could solve our problem .nice thought ahsmile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.