Pregnancy and giving birth with hip replacement

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm 34 and had my hip replacement at the age of 27. Now I'm 5weeks pregnant and I'm wondering what will be the complications due to my hip. Anyone has experience in this subject?

I fear the extra weight will weaken the hip. I already feel that it isn't as good as it was at the begining, it gets tired quicker, if i carry anything heavy it starts to hurt.

Also, will I be able to give birth naturally?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Marcho, are you in the uk? If so you should discuss this with your midwife. Speaking from professional and also personal experience the hip itself should be fine. The hormonal effects of pregnancy soften the ligaments and this and the extra weight can cause some discomfort but that is common for many women during pregnancy. You might have to take it easy towards the end and also try not to gain to much weight as this just put extra strain on all the joints. There is usually no reason why you wouldn't be able to give birth naturally, some obstetrician's advise a epidural for pain relief and personally I would steer clear of this so you have full control of your legs and hip. Labouring in water is a good option if you have no medical issues. The main thing is not to let anyone tell what you should and shouldn't do as you know your own body. Again speak to your midwife.

Hope this helps and congratulations!

• Posted

Hi Vicki. Thanks for your response. Yes, I'm in the UK. I still need to have my first antenatal care meeting. Yes, I will definitely discuss it with my midwife.

When I had my surgery for the THR I discussed this subject with my doctor and he said pretty much the same as you.

In the last 2 years I can feel my hip getting worse. So, as you said, I kinda expect to take it easy at the end of the pregnancy, I can even imagine I will have to start my maternity leave earlier.

My doctor also mentioned that giving birth is possible. However I'm very concious of how little I can move my leg sideways. I fear it won't be enough for the baby to come out.

I guess this is something I will need to discuss with my midwife too.

Again, thank you for your comment and help, and your best wishes. smile

• Posted

Thank you everyone for replying. Hopefully someone with experience will join the discussion too.

I'm going to keep this discussion updated with my experience, in case some of you will be in the same shoes as me. smile

Marcho

• Posted

Hi, just thought I'd add from my own experience I was offered a c section but didn't want to have to cope with more major surgery and thankfully gave birth naturally to both my (big) babies. My hip was fine but I really suffered towards the end of my first pregnancy and for quite a lot of the second. Mainly with pelvic pain due to everything stretching and my wonky hip!
  • Posted

My colleague had a hip replacement at 27 and she's 40 now. She's just given birth to twins so you can imagine the weight! Said the hip didn't give her any probs at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.