Pregnancy Anxiety- Scared to carry a baby inside of me for 9 months

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I am not pregnant but having been talking with my partner more and more about the possibility of having a baby in the near future. The idea of having a baby is something I would be very happy about and think we would be very good parents but the idea of carrying a baby inside of me for 9 months gives me a lot of anxiety just thinking about it before it even happens.  Has anyone else felt this way? I plan to talk to a doctor/therapist about it but wanted to hear if any one else has experienced these feelings.  Ive read about Tokophobia but Im not sure that is fully what I have.  I read that it is about being scared of the delivery itself  or being scared of getting pregnant but Im more curious about being scared to have something growing inside of me for 9 months.  Most forums say the time goes by quickly but if anyone knows what its like to have panic attacks, I would assume 9 months would feel like an eternity when you're panicking non stop.  Not to mention Im sure it would be harmful to the baby feeling that way all the time.  I am deeply scared to carry a baby inside of me for 9 months and scared Im am going to feel like I am in a 9 month long panic attack.  I used to have a really bad anxiety and panic attacks for about 10 years.  I was on medication but went off of it about 8 months ago but started feeling anxious again more recently as I start to think about the possibility of getting pregnant.  If anyone has felt the same way, can you pass along some of your coping mechanisms.  I am terrified that it is going to dibilitate me for 9 months. Ive spoken to my partner about it and he "understands" but suggest that maybe we don't have a baby if I am going to get so scared about it.  He does not understand what its like to have anxiety and panic disorders so his first thought is to avoid what brings it on but I know that there are other ways around it, I just have yet to read anything similar to how Im feeling about pregnancy and the anxiety assciated with carrying something inside of you for 9 months.  

Anyway help/ positive comments are welcome!

Thanks

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I understand completely, i am in the same boat. What has helped you? I try to remind myself its perfectly normal to have a baby inside of u, women have been doin it since the beginning of time, completely normal and natural.
  • Posted

Hi I've been feeling the exact same way!nervous about carrying a baby for 9 months we have been trying to conceive for 4 years now and I'm just telling myself it's something you really want many women do it and I'm sure we will be ok! It'll be werid for sure but you won't even know for 4 months then the kicks feel like gas! So everything will be ok! Hope this helps! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.