Pregnancy with a slipped disc!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. 

I slipped a disc around 10 months ago and it's hitting my sciatic nerve I was stuck in bed for around 4 months, I was unable to get up everything was impossible at this point. However, I mangaged to get myself up and about and it's starting to get more manageable.

I've had the epidural injection but got no relief from it so I'm now just getting by as I don't want to have the operation. 

What is bothering me is that myself and my fiancee are ready to try for a baby but I'm scared that my body won't be able to cope with carrying the baby or the birth. I've spoke to the doctor but she didn't offer me that much advice, basically just saying that pregancy is hard work for your body and it depends if I want to put myself through it. 

Has anyone else had a slipped disc and then carried a baby? 

How did you cope with birth? 

Were you offered any help or support throughout your pregnancy? 

Any advice would be much appreciated. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Katie I really feel sorry for, I know it's hard to cope without the added drama off geeing pregnant, I am currently in hospital now yesterday I had 3 discs fused and also above graft as well 
    • Posted

It's so hard to know what to do. 

I hope you fusion was successful smile

• Posted

Hey Katie, i'm a guy but so what. If you're at child bearing age then hold off an operation as it tends to weaken the structure at the level above the prolapse. If you are relatively young then it's an awful long time you'll have to live with a weakened disc.  

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I 22, so an operation isn't the road I want to be going down at all. 
  • Posted

Hi, I am in a similar situation. We were getting ready to start trying for our second when I started with headaches everyday. That was 18 months ago and now getting other symptoms of cervical spondylosis and also sciatica. I have had the sciatica for 12 months and have phases when I need to take painkillers. Pregnancy scares me as without the painkillers I wouldn't be able to function. Also, my cervical problems would mean I could struggle to carry a little one once born. They get very heavy in the car seats. I am lucky as I have an amazing 3 year old. I haven't tried any injections yet that is the next step for me. I have been told sciatica can get better, stay the same or get better with pregnancy.  Good luck x
    • Posted

Thank you, good luck to you too. 

I really hope the injection works for you smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.