Pregnant!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi all, i just found out im 5 weeks pregnant!! i am on 10mg for 4 months now.. just wondering if anyone else has been pregnant and still taking this? im not sure how ill be if i have to stop taking it but at the same time i will if i have too and that scares me

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

honestly it's completely safe when you are pregnant x I know soooooo many people who have taken it while pregnant and baby is fine x if its helping it's best you keep taking them because your mental health is just as important for the baby 😊

I'm a man so this is not my personal experience 😅

hopefully someone will come along soon that will be able to reassure you. some gps will suggest you come off but there really is no need

• Posted

i don't think anyone was giving medical advice. simply giving personal experiences etc.

• Posted

i am currently 33 weeks pregnant and been on 10mg my whole pregnancy and since before i got pregnant. My doctor agreed it was better i stay on them

• Posted

Thats great!! fingers crossed my dr does too 😃

• Posted

i was on 10mg citalopram all through my second pregnancy and everything was absolutely fine. Both my gp and maternity doctor explained that it was such a low dose and safe. much safer than the effects of coming off them so dont let anyone bully you. talk to your doctor for reassurance.

Congratulations too!!

• Posted

this is such a relief to hear! Thank you 😃

• Posted

ignore the person in your comments that's freaking out. there is always one. lack of research and ignorance will do that to people. it's safe to take this medication particularly at such a low dose while pregnant. like research suggests that there can be way more harm done to the baby from untreated mental health than the medication. take the tablet and relax your baby will be healthy just like many babies that were in the same situation as yours. there are risk with every medication its normal to be worried.

• Posted

Here is the full text re: use in pregnancy and its related dangers. Sorry if others don't agree with me. Please READ IT.

Neonates, pregnancy

There are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women; citalopram should be used in pregnancy only when the benefits to the mother outweigh the potential risk to the fetus. There is some evidence that SSRI use may cause non-teratogenic fetal harm during human pregnancy. Neonates exposed to citalopram and other SSRIs late in the third trimester have developed complications requiring prolonged hospitalization, respiratory support, and tube feeding. Such complications can arise immediately upon delivery. Symptoms have included respiratory distress, cyanosis, apnea, seizures, temperature instability, feeding difficulty, vomiting, hypoglycemia, hypotonia, hypertonia, hyperreflexia, tremor, jitteriness, irritability, and constant crying. These features are consistent with either a direct toxic effect of serotonergic agents or, possibly, a neonatal abstinence syndrome. Epidemiologic reports also suggest a possible association between maternal use of SSRIs after 20 weeks gestation and the development of persistent pulmonary hypertension (PPHN) of the newborn. More recent retrospective studies have not shown an increased risk of PPHN with SSRI exposure. In December 2011, the FDA issued a safety announcement stating that based on conflicting data an increased risk of PPHN from SSRI exposure cannot be determined, and that healthcare professionals should not alter their current practice of treating depression in pregnancy at this time. Women who are pregnant, or are planning a pregnancy, and currently taking citalopram should consult with their physician about whether to continue taking it. When treating a pregnant woman with an SSRI or other serotonergic agent during the third trimester, the physician should carefully consider the potential risks and benefits of treatment. If clinically feasible, gradual tapering of the medication prior to delivery may be considered. A prospective study of pregnant women receiving antidepressant treatment found that only 26% of those maintained on their antidepressant had relapsed versus 68% of those who had discontinued their medication. Increasing evidence suggests an association between antidepressant use during pregnancy and a subsequent diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) in the offspring. In 2 separate population based case-control studies, an approximate 2-fold increased risk of autism spectrum disorder was observed. One study found the increased risk was associated only with SSRI use, while the other study found an increased risk associated with use of SSRIs and tricyclic antidepressants. In animal studies, citalopram has been shown to have adverse effects on embryo/fetal and postnatal development, including teratogenic effects, when administered at doses greater than human maximum therapeutic doses. In general, animal studies have shown that SSRIs downregulate the serotonin receptors in the fetal cortex and that these changes can be present for a period of time after birth. The effect of citalopram on labor and delivery is unknown. The National Pregnancy Registry for Psychiatric Medications is dedicated to evaluating the safety of psychiatric medications that may be taken by women during pregnancy to treat a wide range of mood, anxiety, or psychiatric disorders. The primary goal of this Registry is to determine the frequency of major malformations, such as heart defects, cleft lip, or neural tube defects, in babies exposed to various psychiatric drugs during pregnancy. While the research concentrates on atypical antipsychotics and antidepressant use, pregnant women using other psychiatric medications are encouraged to register.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

I understand your concern but as I am someone who worked in mental health for few years as well as studied cognitive neuroscience with psychology and worked with pregnant women with mental health issues all I can say from experience that when it comes to citalopram it is one of the safer ADs to take during pregnancy as long as it does not go beyond the recommended dose. I wouldn't comment here if I did not have any experience with this topic.

when it comes to science community it's best to take an objective approach. always read the discussions and study limitations. the risk of taking this medication at a recommended dose are very low. studies that have been done regarding autism have a lot of limitations and even mention it within the studies. Not to mention that there are so many different types of SSRIs and we cannot clump them together some are safer than others. there is a high risk of the baby having issues for the first 24 h when the women is on citalopram it includes faster heart rate , some breathing problems and the infant being very irritable, it subsides however and it is not shown to have more issues once it does.

also withdrawing from SSRI during pregnancy is very very dangerous. When I worked in an acute psychiatric unit pregnant women were never encouraged to withdraw or stop the medication psychiatrist always put the on a more safer medication or reduced the dose only!

also women who suffer from untreated anxiety and depression pose much more risk to the fetus than the use of citalopram. look at those research texts. also increased risk of PNP.

I understand your concern but to go on antidepressants that is a big choice to make we dont do it lightly its not an easy decision at all. I will stay on ADs if I get pregnant because I have made this decision based on my experience and knowledge. please don't freak a pregnant women out with such negative view and be more objective is already very hard for us women. significance of the risks are very very small when read from the statistical perspective. but untreated mental health poses very very significant risk. best to speak with a neonatal psychiatrist and from my experience with them they tell women to stay on the medication on the lowest dose possible if it's a medication such as citalopram if there is an antipsychotic or different type of AD that's a different story as a lot of them are dangerous indeed.

• Posted

I really appreciate all of the positive advice. As we all know living with anxiety is a struggle enough as it is, I don't need to be thinking negatively while growing a baby. I have reached out to my family doctor, I have an appointment next Friday (6 weeks), they have advised me to KEEP TAKING cit as I am on such a low dosage, if any problems arise down the road they will modify it then. I was not asking in lieu of going to my doctor, I was just looking for comfort in knowing someone else has been through this!

Again, thank you all for your kind words. and jo94743 in future please don't scare other pregnant women! Suggest going to a DR asap and leave it at that, its not that I was "hearing what I want to hear" I was hearing from other women in the same situation I'm currently in. Thank you though.

• Posted

totally agreed with you.best regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.