Pregnant and chronically ill

Posted , 1 user is following.

hi all, new to the page but im desperate for some advice from someone who may be able to help. This is probably going go be a long post so please bare with me.

I was diagnosed with congenital hip dysplasia at 8 months old. I had my first surgery at 1 year old and have had 14 surgeries over the years. 3 years ago at the age of 20, (making me 23 years old now) I had a left total hip replacement and reconstruction, it took 9.5 hours and was an incredibly complex surgery. Sadly the surgery was not a success and I have finally been put back on the surgery list to remove the replacement, and redo it with several alterations.

so, 1 week after being put on the waiting list, i discovered I was pregnant, im only 7 weeks so early days but obviously, ill not be able to have my surgery anymore. So this is where the advice comes in.

I suffer from osteoarthritis, degenerative disc disease, joint hypermobility syndrome whic cause frequent joint collapse and dislocation from simple movements, TMJ, Fibromyalgia, planter fasciitis, trapped nerves and obviously all these conditions cause excruciating chronic pain and mobility issues. The hip replacement was supposed to be a little bit of a life line for pain issues.

My real question is, is there anyone here that has been through pregnancy with any of these conditions? how did you cope? what was the chronic pain like? did your hip replacement cause any issues during labour, and most importantly did any mothers who have/had hip dysplasia, did you baby have it too? this terrifies me the most because id hate to put a child through what iv been through. I dont really know how many of you here will be able to help, but im finding it incredibly difficult to find any videos, blogs, pages from mams/mams to be who are disabled and have similar conditions to me. I guess I just want some clarity on what may be to come and how you coped during your pregnancy with all the added extras

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.