Pregnant on citalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

HELP!

OMG..............I have 'just' (as in the last half an hour discovered that I am pregnant). I have been taking citalopram for the last three months and am on 30mcg/mg??

I am concerned by the effect of being on these tablets at time of conception and also what will happen now. Obviously it's not advisable to take any drugs/medication when pregnant. I also take Zopiclone (for insomnia) but usually only 2/3 times a week as I haven't wanted to become hooked on them.

Anyone with any knowledge of issues around these pills and pregnancy please advise me

thanks in advance

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jade,

First of all - congratulations!

Secondly... Make an appointment with your doctor ASAP. I think the general advice for this kind of situation is, don't stop the medication until you've spoken to a doctor - they'll probably wean you off them gradually if they consider them potentially harmful to the baby. Chances are, no harm has been done. And the doctor may consider it worthwhile to keep you on the meds, perhaps at a low dose - I don't know about that. But in any case, speak to your doctor ASAP and see what he/she says.

Just did a wee bit of research...I've read experiences of pregnant women on citalopram, whose doctors have told them it's fine to stay on it during pregnancy. I also found the following:

\"A recent research about the effects of Citalopram in pregnancy and lactation by a Finish expert group showed no major problems for the babies. Taking 20 or 40 mg Citalopram there were only very low plasma concentration for the infants and no problems of delivery or any neurodevelopment problems of the babies. So the authors concluded that there is only a very small risk for the babies.

Source : Heikkinen T, Ekblad U, Kero P, Ekblad S, Laine K : Citalopram in pregnancy and lactation. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2002 Aug; 72(2):184-91\"

I hope this helps!

Good luck xxx

• Posted

Hi Froggerella,

Thank-you so much for taking the time/effort to reply. I will arrange to speak to my doctor asap :-)

• Posted

Hi Jade

Congratulations.

Lizzy

• Posted

Thank-you. Still in shock but slowly sinking in!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.