Pregnant Ulcerative Colitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone

I am 34 weeks pregnant and have ulcerative colitis

Unfortunately I'm having a flare up and have been since around 23 weeks.. I'm now measuring small and my midwife seems concerned

I had a growth scan and the sonographer said I am smaller than average but the weight of the baby is 4lb 4oz.. But my midwife said she's not convinced at the weight they have gave me and my fundal height is now almost 4cm behind..

The baby still isn't head down.. I'm just so worried now

I was told in January that I could have a premature low birth weight baby but now that everything is nearer I'm really scared that the baby is going to be so small xx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Millie,

I'm so sorry you're having to cope with a flare-up and such a time; it must be very difficult to cope with.

I can only send you my very, very best wishes, thouhts and prayers that your baby is born healthy and with no problems and your fears prove unfounded.

Peter xxx

• Posted

Hi Peter Thankyou for your comment that's just so very kind.

I'm always a very positive person however the prospect of becoming a first time mum with no control over my health at the moment is getting me a little down!

Thankyou for your kind words that's so lovley of you

X

• Posted

Hi Millie. That must be terrible for you. colitis is awful on its own, let alone dealing with pregnancy too. Are you on any meds for the colitis while you are pregnant? Can you see your gastro consultant urgently? I am just wondering if they can help with the colitis bearing in mind your pregnancy of course, but also if there are any absorption problems related to the colitis that they can address by supplements or additions in food diet to assist with the growth of the baby. Take care hun, hope this info helps.xxx
    • Posted

Hi looloo thanks for your reply!

They have checked my placenta and said that everything is working! I am still taking my pregnancy vitamins and I'm on asacol foam plus mezavant x4 a day

I seen the consultant last week and they gave me the asacol foam to take along with my tablets!!!! But still nothing's working but that's what thwy said to take

I'm bleeding alot which isn't great but all my bloods seems to be ok..

Thwy are monitoring me as much as they can and I know that are trying their best I just worry!!!

Xxx

• Posted

As long they are taking care of you that's good. Take care of yourself & I hope you begin to feel better soon Millie. xxx

• Posted

Hi Millie, I hope you're on OK?

I am 25 weeks pregnant and have just been diagnosed with UC. Unfortunately we don't know any specifics yet as the hospital are hesitant to perform a sigmoidoscopy in my condition, but my symptoms and calprotectin levels are apparently severe enough to lead them to the UC conclusion.

I have just recovered from hyperemesis, and now this, I am truly exhausted, and worried about my unborn son... How did you get on?

I have been started on Pentasa 2g BD as again due to my condition they are hesitant to prescribe steroids... They did warn me it may take a few weeks for them to start working. I am going the loo on average 15 tines a day and I am still waiting to hear from an obstetrician (my midwife referred me upon diagnosis). The information on the Internet is regards to pregnancy and UC is rather scary.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.