Pregnant with ebv

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

I had ebv virus for a year and after I got more or less better and put on weight I got pregnant. In the second month I broke out in cold sores on the lip and in the nose at the same time. Then my lymph nodes are swollen and hurt a bit. I have 37.5-6 mild fever and throat pain. I am dreading of what is coming up and me being pregnant won't be able to handle it. the worst fear is that it can damage the baby. My doctor won't help me unless I develop fever that is 38C+ and have other symptoms.

Those who had EBV again the 2nd time, was it easier for you than the first time around?

Thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

Firstly, congratulations on your pregnancy! I have not been in your situation myself (pregnant with EBV) but I have had a reactivation of EBV for a year and have therefore read about it a lot... When searching for others experiences I have actually come across several stories about women who had had reactivated EBV for a long time, accidentally got pregnant and then POOF! - The virus went dormant during pregnancy and never reactivated again. The babies were healthy, and born to healthy happy mommas!

Not encouraging anyone else reading this to try this as a "recovery strategy", of course. But when I read your post and heard you were worried about your situation I just wanted to let you know what I have gathered from my many hours of obsessive googling 😉

It doesn't surprise me that a big hormone shift like getting pregnant would reactivate the virus initially (it always got worse for me during my cycle) but hopefully it goes dormant for you in the later stages of pregnancy when your body is more used to the hormones. And even if it doesn't, I am sure your baby will be just fine like for those other mothers I have read about in other forums!

• Posted

hi,

mine wasnt reactivated but i had horriible EBV symptoms. coincidentally i began to see huge improvements in my health around the time i got pregnant, and ive had a good pregnancy so far (8.5 months along and so far baby seems very healthy). so... i dont know if i got pregnant because i was feeling better (LOL) or if pregnancy helped kick the symptoms away. either way take it one day at a time you might be pleasantly surprised and feel better (or thats what i hope for you)!

• Posted

Hi Isabelle,

Thank you for your reply. Actually your email brought some relief to my crazy hormonal mind 😃 Your research and knowledge makes sense to me. When I was expecting my 1st child, prior to getting pregnant I had an episode in my life when I suffered from horrible acid reflux and stomach pain. When I got pregnant the same horrible reflux started over but lasted only up to the 2nd trimester and after pregnancy I have never had it again . I was kind of hoping this would be the case this time around either. Your words will give some courage and positivity.

Thanks

All the best

• Posted

Hi,

congratulations! happy to hear a positive outcome. I hope it never comes back after you deliver your baby. Sometimes pregnancy helps to make women's bodies healthier.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi there,

Agreeing very much with Isabelle in congratulating you on your pregnancy, just so sorry to hear you're having to go through this stress and feeling unwell at this time. I do hope so much everything can settle down and that this can just be a temporary setback in the grand scheme, I know it is not uncommon for mini reactivations to occur during that first 1-2 years, I had one about 18 months on where I felt unwell again and my blood test showed positive for EBV again and my heart sank so much thinking I would have to go through all this again - but it proved just to be a minor and temporary thing and things settled down quickly and within a few weeks was feeling much better again. Hoping very much that this is just a minor thing that is maybe just feeling more intense due to your body adjusting to the pregnancy and that things will settle down.

I'm afraid my knowledge of pregnancy and associated issues is very little but just wanted you to know as a person who went through a tough time with EBV many years ago, and recovered thanks to God, that I'm thinking about you and believing you are going to get through this. Hang in there, take things slowly and at your own pace, get plenty of rest, take all the right vitamins / herbs / nutrients, and look after yourself at this time.

Craig

• Posted

hi Craig,

thank you for the wishes! i hope this time around the symptoms will be milder. it is hard to tell the difference between pregnancy fatigue and EbV tiredness or nausea. For now I worry a lot about the mild fever which knocks me down. however your and others posts give me some hope. I will try to keep positive!

thank you

ALL THE BEST

• Posted

Hey again -reactivated,

That's totally understandable about it being hard to decifer what's maybe fatigue from the pregnancy and what's fatigue from the EBV. Remember (as if you need me to tell you!) how big a deal pregnancy is and how much your body is in a state of change and trying to deal with different set of circumstances during that time, so hoping very much the majority of symptoms is just a natural phase of your pregnancy and will settle down very soon.

Absolutely there is hope and remember you will get better from the EBV - there is hope and recovery from this thing and my experience was that even in mini-reactivation, this thing can NEVER harm you the way it did first time round and your body has all the tools / antibodies ready to go in the case of these kind of setbacks and God willing hoping and praying it will just be a minor, temporary and short-lived setback at the moment which will pass very soon.

Thinking about you and do let us know how things are going - hang in there you will get through this, I truly believe that, trusting God!

Craig

• Posted

Hi ebvreactivated, I am reading this topic with interest as I got ebv diagnoses in September (13 mos after sympoms started). My doc says it is no longer active but what I am experiencing are post viral symptoms. I am also considering pregnancy (in fact I have delayed it over the past year because I have felt so rubbish). I sometimes worry what pregnancy will be like with ebv .

Please keep us posted of your journey.

• Posted

I'll make sure to update here. the fatigue is terrible but I hear the same from other healthy women. lymph nodes swollen and hurt but manageable. the only concerning complaint is the fever it fluctuates around 37.5-37.7 now

• Posted

Hoping for a settled day and week ahead for you -reactivated, remember just look after yourself at this time and take things slowly one day at a time. Thinking of you and definitely do keep in touch let us know how things are going.

Craig

• Posted

Thanks very much for your reply. Wishing you a great pregnancy. Hopefully the fatigue is not causing you too much disruption. Are you able to work at the moment?

• Posted

thank you for your wishes. currently I don't work but honestly it will be impossible to work for me. I struggle hard to stay on my feet during the day. I need 10 hours of sleep and 1 nap during the day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.