Pregnant with major anxiety, took my one dose of prescribed Sertraline, scared to take it again

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 23 weeks pregnant with major anxiety disorder/ panic disorder.

My doctor thought it best to start me on 50 MG of sertraline. I have been on it before I was pregnant, with only minor side effects.

I took my first dose a week ago, and had an absolute horrible experience. I have called a pharmacist and my Doctor about the issues, and nobody clearly told me if they were normal or okay. So I have been super scared to try and start again, so some insight would be very helpful, as I am desperate at this point.

It kicked in pretty quick, I got dozzy/tired/nauseous. But I just did NOT feel good. My muscles were so... Achy and tired. It was slightly hard to swallow, and of course I was panicking the whole time. When I finally fell asleep, I woke up to switch positions, and I was immediately struck with a panic attack.

Like, my body did not feel good whatsoever. I couldn't stop moving around and I couldn't stop rambling. I know a lot of this was probably intensified due to my anxiety issues, as I always feel like I am dying anyways ðŸ˜Ķ

I just need to know if this is normal side effects please? Google is iffy. I just need any reassurance, please. I am so tired of being so anxious, but I'm so scared to take my medicine. Someone, please help.. I feel so alone right now in this situation. I've tried to seek help and have gotten nothing..

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Well, I've never taken this medication pregnant, but I can tell you that those side effects you are feeling is perfectly normal . You have to take into consideration that you are extra hormonal right now. I know that every month around that time of my cycle I get hit with anxiety a little bit . Anyway, it sounds like you already know exactly what your anxiety does to you, as you stated yourself that a lot of your symptoms are amped up due to your anxiety. I can totally relate to that feeling of always thinking you are dying. this is my problem as well, but thank goodness that being on a hundred mg of this medication for about a year has really helped. I think as long as Sertraline is safe for your baby, that you should stay with it. Just hang in there and get better. You will get better. And 50 mg is a therapeutic dose, so I bet in 3 weeks you will start to feel good. Hang in there, You Are Not Alone.

• Posted

For a lot of people, Zoloft will make your symptoms worse in the beginning. Increased anxiety, muscle aches, headaches, jitters and shakiness. Usually those side effects will go away or reduce after 1 to 2 weeks. Sometimes doctors will prescribe benzodiazepines to counteract the start up anxiety, but with you being pregnant, I'm sure you cannot take those. I sympathize with you, I am not pregnant, but just starting Zoloft again after taking it for 6 years and I'm having a hard time as well. Anxiety through the roof, and when I increased to 75mg 5 days ago, it has caused me to be depressed which is really scaring me. Maybe you could just start with 25mg and see how you do. But increased anxiety for the first couple of weeks is a normal side effect of the zoloft. Once your body gets used to the zoloft, things will start to level out. I'll pray for you. Everything will be ok!!

• Edited

i started sertraline while pregnant in second trimester and i had awful side wffects esp nausea which was prob heightened by being pregnant, took a good 6-8 weeks to feel the benefit now ive been good two years

• Posted

Thank you for writing back on this. I didn't know what else to do. I've actually STILL not tried starting the medication again. I'm still kind of scared 😞 I've been using cbd gummies to help more with anxiety. It seems to be helping a lot. I just know that it's not going to fix the underlying issue. I think I will start my sertraline again, on top of CBD so the side effects don't bother me as bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.