Pregrabalin and Constipation

Posted , 4 users are following.

How much of a problem is constipation caused by taking pregrabalin. I tend towards constipation dont want to make it worse

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I don't remember it giving me constipation at all, quite the reverse in fact. Opiates do but Pregab is not an Opiate, it was originally formulated as an AntiConvulsant but found to help with nerve pain and is prescribed for that as well. It is a hard hitting drug and other side effects that can come with it are mental confusion, memory loss, excessive mood swings, sleep problems and others. It closes the Pain Receptors in the brain off, hence some patients do get pain relief, but the brain and central nervous system very quickly become dependent on it and you cannot just suddenly decided not to take it any more as you risk having seizures and very nasty withdrawals. Unfortunately my GP did not advise me of side effects or withdrawals and my experience of Pregabalin was not at all pleasant. I took it for 3 years and yes, it did take the pain away from an inflamed sciatic nerve which I was very happy about until I realised the side effects. Then it was a long and painful process to slowly taper down from doses taking over a year to come off it.

Please research as much as you can before agreeing to take it so that you are able to make an informed choice for yourself. Research is knowledge. I know where pain is concerned how desperate we can become to take anything that will take the pain away, but I will never take this drug again however much pain I may be in! It is your decision and I wish you well.

• Posted

I take Pregabilin and have never being constipated with it. Are you on any other meds that could be causing this. Are you eating a varied diet? I would look at what you are eating, there is plenty of information on the web that can guide you. Hopefully this will sort the constipation for you.

• Posted

elizabeth,

i hope you dont mind me asking but how long have you been on it and have you had any side effects?

• Posted

Elizabeth 20203 thanks for your response. I don't mind you asking and the answer is that I have not started taking it as I am rather scared of the side effects. I took gaberbentin for a couple of weeks and the side effects were awful, felt anxious and agitated so I stopped and the GP gave me pregabelin . I am scared of pills which mess with my nervous system so as probably putting off taking it looking for reasons not to take it but am suffering badly with pain and stiffness so may have to try it.

This website would be better if it notified when you had a reply like the arthritis care one does

• Posted

I have been taking Pregabilin now for about 2 years. The side effects for me are, i don't always sleep well, thou before i took the drug my sleeping was worse and i was anxious. Weight gain, i have to be careful of what i eat. My Consultant said that all these type of drugs can cause these side effects. The main reason i take Pregabilin is because of Nuropathic pain and this drug helps with that. It's a case of suffering these side effects. Everyone is different of course and not everyone will have the same side effects. It's best to try for yourself and see what outweighs what. I was on Gaberpentin before and was very anxious on them.

Hope you find the right meds for you. Good luck.

• Posted

thank you that is very reassuring

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.