Premature quitting of antidepressants, depression

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey everyone. I was depressed starting in January and started Lexapro 10mg from June-August. I have been doing a lot of psychotherapy, as well as taking omega-3s. At about August, right before dental school, I started writing and did some psychotherapy and it totally clicked in my mind and the problem that was bothering me for the past 6 months was totally resolved. I know this. I felt totally back to normal for about a week with complete functioning in every aspect. Prior to that I was taking Lexapro every other day for about a week. But then, after I started feeling better, I stopped my Lexapro for about 4-5 days. By the 5th day, I got super anxious over random things, vomiting, nausea, chills, everything. I am assuming these are discontinuation symptoms. Plus, I only took the medication for 2.5 months before quitting, essentially cold turkey, because a week taper I don't think was much. The next day, I took my Lexapro and mostly all of these went away, except for a little anxiety, vivid dreams, and a little lower appetite. But, should I continue taking the antidepressants for the remaining up to 6 months / do you guys think I will feel back how I did a week ago due to my resolved situational issue (important, really want to feel this way again)? Or do you think I should taper the drugs now over time and start quitting right now? I am 3 weeks into starting dental school right now so would like to make a good evidence-based decision. Thank you in advance for your help and input. Love and all the best to you all. <3

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

do you feel good because oif the medication??????/ or the resolving of your issues??????/ or did the resolving of your issues happen due to the medication??????/// i think the medication helpped myself and comming off them fast could make you go backwards,i came off my tablets and was happy for 4 to 5 months then depression and anxierty hit me twice as hard as b4
    • Posted

I felt good because I resolved my issues but it is possible that I just wasn't contributing feeling good to also being treated by my medications. I felt different after I resolved my issues. If this is the effect of me getting hit hard after stopping cold turkey, then should I aim at resolving this residual anxiety through psychotherapy or what and just continue taking the drugs like I did before? Thanks.

• Posted

if you feel you can sort your issues out without medication then deffo do so.if you think that you still need somthing to take the edge off then take them still,its all about whats best 4 you but if you stop the tablets for a while then you will have to go through the side effects again
  • Posted

My opinion, continue with the meds for four more weeks monitoring your depression, etc., and then taper off when you feel confident about that. But obviously I'm not a doctor. 

You know, years ago when I was in alcohol/drug rehab, it wasn't unusual for the clients, including me, to feel sick and exhibit other symtoms like you mentioned due to the psychotherapy and counseling - which can bring up a lot of repressed feelings/emotions [we were made aware that that could happen]. So, I'm wondering if your symptoms could be related to that as well - repressed emotions welling up into your system. Just a thought.

All the best to you, too. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.