Premolar broken in half! Help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I'm 18 and not been to the dentist in a while, my first premolar broke a month a go and I've been putting off going but with it being near the front of my mouth I don't want it to be so noticeable that I'm missing half a tooth, could this be filled?? Or what would be the procedure. Help!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Only your dentist will be able to tell you. You may require a root canal and a crown, but it might also be possible for the dentist to build up the tooth with white resin. I had this done recently when a molar broke off.

However, it all depends on the position of the break, the condition of the remaining fragment of tooth, as well as various other factors. Only your dentist is qualified to judge what would be the most suitable treatment.

And please don't wait too much longer. The break will have exposed the inner parts of the tooth which aren't supposed to be open to the bacteria in your mouth. I also have to say that it's not normal for a premolar to break in someone of your age unless it's been exposed to a heavy impact, which leads me to suspect the tooth may already be heavily decayed, in which case may other teeth may also be decayed - especially since you say you haven't seen a dentist for some time.

I can only urge you to get to a dentist asap, to find out what's going on in your mouth and get it treated.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply I had tooth ache back in December and kind of ignored it and it's come back off and on since and then like I said a month ago it broke in half. Probably got an abscess but I'm scared of the dentist because I know I will end up needing a lot of work done. It's the front side of the tooth that's broke so I wasn't sure if it could be filled.

Would this treatment be free as I'm still in education?

• Posted

Lucy, it's essential that you see a dentist. If you have got an abscess and it goes untreated it could get into your jaw, and you might be facing a bone graft. If you don't get the necessary work done now, I can guarantee you'll face a whole lot more later on, and possibly risk losing many of your teeth.

I can't help you on costs as I don't live in either the UK or the US. Perhaps if you send a post saying what country you live in, another poster will be able to answer your question. I'm afraid one thing's for sure though - the longer you leave this, the more expensive the solution is going to be.

• Posted

My husband had a tooth break recently.  The dentist was able to use a material to "glue" it together.  My husband was told he needed to go back for a crown on that tooth.  He was happy they were able to save the tooth.  Maybe they can add to your tooth.  You should go in and get it taken care of; chances are you will feel relieved once it is fixed.  I know, many of us have anxiety about going to the dentist, but find a dentist with good reviews or talk to friends or colleagues that may be able to recommend a good dentist.  Best wishes - take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.