Preparing for my first of 2 HR's

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi, I have just received the date for my first HR and I am trying to plan for my after care! I have been told that I will be in hospital for 4 days (subject to all going to plan) and that is all. So can you tell me

please. ....

1. How long before the staples are removed.

2. How long after leaving hospital do I need to

recuperate?

3. How many weeks do I go back and see the Doctor

Any other comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi tricia,  warm welcome to the hippies forum where we share our personal experiences and stories ..this basic information should have been given to you by the Orthopedic Office according to the hospital procedure and your particular case -One of our forum members has vreated a web page based on questions and answers, tips etc. from forum members -you can find it at:https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147- scroll all the way down to A Laymans' guide .... when is your surgery date?and of course, always come back here if you have any concerns or questions   big warm hugrenee 

• Posted

Hi Tricia, I would definitely recommend Spinal with sedation. Didn't feel a thing, and woke up to my surgeon telling me it had all gone well. I was having lunch an hour later. I was in hospital a couple of nights, the whole thing was loads better than I was expecting, and so far I've had a good recovery (6 months ago now). I think a lot depends on how fit you are before the op. Good luck!

• Posted

Hello Tricia! Good luck with your surgery! I have a question: What type of surgery are you going to have? I mean anterior, posterior, small incision, traditional long incision?? Why am I asking? Because from what I am reading on this forum the majority of patients have a very short recovery period! I was in the hospital for a week, (traditional side hip method with 10" scar) and it took me 4 months to return to work. I am just fine now though. I had my op 13 months ago.

• Posted

Good Morning Kathleen,

As far as I can remember (that sounds awful, but there was so much info and I am suffering from

menopause brain freeze at my appointment ) and

awaiting confirmation letter from the hospital,

it will be the traditional method. If it takes a few months

recovery, not a problem as I have been house

bound for the last year while the Dr's and

Rheumatologist tried to work out my condition.

Thanks

• Posted

hi tricia, 

no need to apologize, darling --- it is so overwhelming, isn't it ...

I did not find this forum until about 20 days post-op from 1st THR surgery and had no clue, really - 

everything I was told at pre-op went right over my head - didn't mean a thing ... only thing that was hammered in was dislocation, infection and death (I made that up ) - 

I had posterior approach (Traditional) and general anesthesia with both surgeries ... I had no ill affects post-op from GA, but to be honest, I have nothing to compare it with -

Just took a deep breath, opened my eyes and was done .. 

let us know hen your surgery date is, okay

angel blessings

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.