Preparing for operation - alcohol?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi there

Just a quickie, I like to drink wine with my meal in the evening but obviously will be giving this up 3 days prior to my op (on the 18th) and while I'm on the meds.  Do you think 3 days is enough time?  Also, when can I look forward to a glass or two in the future?  cheesygrin

Lynne

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I wouldn't drink the morning of the surgery or in the recovery room. Seriously, alcohol and pain meds can be deadly so leave the wine till you are pain med free but don't get off meds just so you can sip the vino. Surgery and pain have always taken away the desire for booze for me. Like a lot of this journey, common sense will dictate activity.
  • Posted

My advice would be to wait till you've left hospital before having a drink hahaha
    • Posted

Guess you could also post a public notice " in lieu of flowers the patient requests donations of merlot, chardonnay or a nice Chablis."
  • Posted

Just be careful and use common sense.  I didn't have much of an appetite and lost a little weight the first few weeks after surgery but I think as I weaned off the pain-killers... the appetite came back.  At that point I would have a drink and had no adverse effects.  Everyone is different though.  Good luck with your recovery! 7 and 1/2 months out and my knee feels great.  This is one of the best changes I've had in my life.  Hope it works out for you too. 
  • Posted

A lady after my own heart! 🍷

Prior to surgery, I always, and I mean ALWAYS, had a glass or two of wine in the evening, I think out of habit as much as anything. Post surgery, it took several weeks before I even considered drinking, and even now only have a couple of glasses or 3 nights a week.

It has really surprised me to be honest, but I just don't fancy it.

However, provided you=_(/_(,#.! .:': watch your meds, and don't skip them (trust me, it can get considered 😊) )/££(5£!!..

• Posted

Sorry, that posted all wrong!

I'm sure that your body will tell you what it wants and when the time is right you'll enjoy a glass of your favourite location.

My Second TKR is Oct 29th, so I'll be interested to see how my body reacts this time.

Good luck with your op! Xxx

• Posted

#libation not location!!!
  • Posted

Have that last glass (or 2) the night before.  All they say is "no food or drink after a certain time of night before the operation.  You won't feel like drinking in hospital, but once you are home and have got yourself settled the odd glass won't hurt, drugs or no drugs.  It's what your body is used to anyway.  Just be sensible
  • Posted

Thanks everyone.  The reason I'm doing the 3 day lay off before is that I took part in a clinical trial last year and that was the length of time they say it takes to get alcohol out of your system completely, yes scary huh?  So I thought I would be a good girl before my op.  Not long now .....
  • Posted

I certainly wouldn't touch any alcohol while on drugs like co codamol or tramadol . . and given that paracetamol (acetominohen) is the worst enemy of the liver after alcohol,  it might pay to wait until finished even with that. . . Although I have never drunk I have an alcoholic's liver because of taking anti inflammatories for  fractured spine. . . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.